Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

I am getting the message "the free list is damaged. Try rebuilding file."

This discussion was created from comments split from: After reconciling, I get a message that says "The free list is damaged..

Comments

• JayDCJayDC Member ✭✭
    I am getting the message "the free list is damaged. Try rebuilding file." The links on this thread do not work anymore. Does anyone have an answer to how to rebuild files and get rid of this message.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8
    Are you using Quicken 2007? If so, rebuild the file indexes by holding down Commandf+Option+B. Does that resolve the problem?
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JayDCJayDC Member ✭✭
    I am getting "UNABLE TO SAVE PRICE" warnings when I make certain stock purchase entries and also when I try to reconcile and select that transaction to clear it during reconciliation process. Now the program "UNEXPECTEDLY QUIT" just after reconciling. Previously I was getting a notice "FREE FILE IS DAMAGED - TRY REBUILDING" Not exact wording on this, as I can't seem to duplicate. For a while only one security prompted the "UNABLE TO SAVE PRICE" but now several do. Also, when opening the program after it is closed, I get the UNABLE TO SAVE PRICE warning immediately.
  • JayDCJayDC Member ✭✭
    I did use the Command+Option+B function, which I believe it does in any case when the program unexpectedly crashes. I am using Imac MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.6
    So let's step back a bit to acknowledge that you're using very old, unsupported software that is known to have an occasionally cranky database engine. Command-Option-B fortunately repairs most problems, but not all. Another trick to try is having Quicken re-create the file by using the Save A Copy command. Save A Copy doesn't just duplicate the file via the operating system; it actually creates a new file and outputs all your data record by record. If it is able to do this -- and with a corrupted database, it may crash as it reads the corrupted data -- the resulting new copy might be free of whatever corruption exists in your current file.

The other possibility is that you're running up against having too many records in certain tables of the database. In my Quicken 2007 file, I was shocked one day when it popped with the a "Transaction file is full" message. Fortunately, I was able to delete some old cash transactions and continue to work, but I've had to continue to pare old transactions to continue using Quicken 2007 as I prepare to make my final switch to modern Quicken Mac. I don't know if the "Unable to Save Price" message is because the table that holds prices is full, or some other corruption (as indicated by the "Free file is damaged" message).
  • JayDCJayDC Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much. I will giver the Save A Copy a try. The Command+Option+B doesn't work. My Quicken goes back to 1992, which is probably a record! I would switch to the Quicken 2020 but I love the investments aspect of the 2007 Version. Jay
    Jay, what in particular about investments in Quicken 2007 is keeping you from moving to Quicken 2020?