What are the differences between the various types of bills?

I am trying to understand the new bill-pay feature of Quicken. I see there are three types of bills: Online, Billpay, Manual. Why three kinds? (There is also another category, Check Pay payees). Please explain each. When do I use one kind or another?

The old method was simple. There were payees and that's it! I could put reminders in the check register and simply type "send" next to one or more and it would get paid on the date in the register. If I wanted, I could have the "send" happen automatically, when the reminder was created, which could also happen automatically (scheduled payments).

How much of the old system's behavior can be accomplished with the new system? How?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't three types of bills in Quicken.  There are online bills linked to online billers.  A bill reminder linked to an online bill is referred to as an online bill reminder.  An online bill reminder obtains its estimate amount from the online bill.  A bill reminder not linked to an online bill is referred to as a manual bill reminder

What is new is we may use an online bill to immediately pay an online biller using Quick Pay and we may use Check Pay to immediately send a check to anyone in the US.

We may still schedule an online payment to an online payee using an online bill payment service.   Quicken Bill Pay service is an online bill payment service being terminated on August 31, 2020.  There are over 500 other financial institutions that continue to provide online bill payment service from within Quicken using the Direct Connect connection method.   We are still able to use a bill reminder to schedule a repeating online payment to an online payee.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Call them types or something else, there are 3 (or 4) I need to choose from
    Call them categories instead of types but either way, the dropdown has me select from these:
    - All bills
    - Online bills
    - Billpay bills
    - Manual bills
    - Billpay favorites
    - Check Pay payees
    That's SIX things to choose from. I can guess "favorites" is not a separate category and "all" is every category. That leaves for possibilities for paying a bill, none of which seem to relate to simply getting the job done.

I don't see how I can use this if I don't understand all those categories.

I know Quicken Bill Pay is being terminated. That's why I need help. I am trying to see how to accomplish the same things using the new scheme and can't figure it out so am trying to get some guidance here.

I think I have several kinds of bills:
    - Things that happen on a regular schedule (paying a utility bill). The amount may vary from month to month.
    - Same as the above but always the same amount. (HOA dues)
    - Ad hoc bills (plumber repair a broken faucet). This kind of thing is rare.
    With he existing Quicken Bill Pay I can schedule transactions for all of those and, perhaps fill in the amount every month. I end up with a bunch of future payments in my register so I can keep track of upcoming cash flow. How do I manage all that with the new service? It does not seem obvious to me.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, manual bill reminders is the key.

For ad-hoc payments I can use Check Pay, right.

Is there a way I can "post date" sending a check? Just because I get a bill today (in USPS or e-mail) doesn't mean I want to pay it today. I may want do delay payment a couple of weeks but initiate the process immediately so I don't have to remember to come back to it later to actually send payment. Quicken used to take this burden off of me. Seems like we are losing that convenience. Perhaps this system will evolve to provide more conveniences.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bertilak said:
    So, manual bill reminders is the key.

For ad-hoc payments I can use Check Pay, right.

Is there a way I can "post date" sending a check? Just because I get a bill today (in USPS or e-mail) doesn't mean I want to pay it today. I may want do delay payment a couple of weeks but initiate the process immediately so I don't have to remember to come back to it later to actually send payment. Quicken used to take this burden off of me. Seems like we are losing that convenience. Perhaps this system will evolve to provide more conveniences.
    Again, we may not schedule payments using Quick Pay or Check Pay.  Quicken says we may the scheduling functionality available by the end of the summer:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay
This discussion has been closed.