UI Slow to load and One Step Update

My Quicken UI has all of the sudden gotten ridiculously slow. For instance, 60+ seconds to open, One Step Update takes 40+ seconds to bring up "Enter Vault Password", etc.

I'm on the latest version for Windows, have validated my data file, chkdsk'ed, etc. Even ran the latest Mondo patch.

Any ideas? It is basically unusable right now.

Comments

• Hugh O'Donnell
    Hugh O'Donnell Member ✭✭
    I should mention (no idea if it is the head or the tail), but the screen refreshes are crazy during the "One Step Update Progress". CPU bounces all over the place, but is never pegged at 25% (which is 100% of single CPU).
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

There are 3 files in Quicken that can get large or corrupted and cause sluggish behavior. They can be deleted and will get recreated at the next file open. If they are large or corrupted you will see a performance improvement once they are recreated.

1. C:\Users\UserFolder\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log\QW.log

2. C:\Users\UserFolder\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Data\QW.RMD

3. The file under your data file that starts with your filename followed by "_SyncLog.dat"

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Hugh O'Donnell
    Hugh O'Donnell Member ✭✭
    Killed all qw tasks, deleted the 3 files, opened quicken. Still having same problem. :(
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say you've loaded the mondo patch and no difference?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Hugh O'Donnell
    Hugh O'Donnell Member ✭✭
    > @GeoffG said:
    > You say you've loaded the mondo patch and no difference?

Yes, I have.
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    Lately, One Step Update on my Windows 10 Quicken Premier has been taking a long time to start up. When I click on One Step Update, I have to wait about 35 seconds before I get the password dialog. I don't know if this is due to internet/server load due to the current "human malware" situation or if it's a problem with the program itself. Is anyone else seeing this?
  • Hugh O'Donnell
    Hugh O'Donnell Member ✭✭
    Does anyone have some ideas? Should I just backup my files, clean Quicken off completely, and setup again? If so, will I have to setup passwords for OSU again?
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    I've got the slow OSU problem (about 35 seconds to bring up the password prompt after hitting One Step Update). But, my UI loads just fine (5 or 6 seconds). I've got 3 different sets of Quicken files, and the behavior is the same across all of them. So, I don't think it's anything to do with our data files.

Looking at Task Manager doesn't really show anything creating a load. The OSU delay could be internet related. But, as for the UI issue, I don't know.
  • senequier
    senequier Member
    Since about 3 days, when I use to one step update, it take a very long time to get to the vault password. It seems it is getting worse as days goes by. It takes now 30 second to get to the password screen. I validated the file, rebooted my computer did everything that needed to be done. I have 2 files one small and one larger and it take about the same time on either one. Looks like obsolescence programming to me as it gets worse every time I sign on even without adding new transactions. Anyone has the same issue? Quicken any idea here?
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭
    I have noticed this as well. Used Quicken UI, reinstalled. Still the same.
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭
    Oh, this is happening on 2017 Ver. 19.8 as well!
  • davidm4444
    davidm4444 Member ✭✭
    yup 2017 VR19.8 taking longer than usual for PasswordVault, plus I can't pay bills anymore... payment is setup to pay via QuickenBillPay, but ONeStep is prompting for my Credit Union password (which stopped working 2 months ago) and it won't accept it now.
    also, I click on Tools, Set Up Quicken Bill Pay... and nothing happens.

was I supposed to update quicken before some date? Usually I get multiple emails to remind me if I needed to
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Quicken appears to be attempting to connect over the internet before prompting for the Password Vault password.  If you block Quicken in the Windows firewall, the password prompt appears quickly.  You may then disable the rule and proceed.  
  • senequier
    senequier Member
    Thank you Sherlock. Can you please expend on what you mean by "Blocking Quicken" and disabling the rule? Thank you for your help!
  • davidm4444
    davidm4444 Member ✭✭
    My quicken bill pay account is gone and thus not connected to my Checking account anymore - I have blank "Payees List" etc. this happened back in Jan and we were able to rebuild it via adding new account "Quicken Bill Pay - New" which does not exist today when I tried to do it again.

there IS a "Quicken Bill Pay - Old" there now which I selected, entered user/password, then it wanted me to add/link to my checking account... but it only offered my old checking account from years ago, not my current one, so that didn't work

still stuck.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    senequier said:
    Thank you Sherlock. Can you please expend on what you mean by "Blocking Quicken" and disabling the rule? Thank you for your help!
    When a process attempts to communicate over the network, there can be a number of reason a response is not immediately forthcoming and there are a variety of ways to coerce a quicker failure.  The approach I suggest using is to temporarily block the program using the Windows's firewall by creating an application specific outbound rule that may easily be enable and disable.

To create an outbound rule that blocks all outbound connections by the Quicken process:
    1. Open Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
    2. Select Outbound Rules
    3. Select New Rule...
    4. Select Next
    5. Choose This program path
    6. Enter %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    7. Select Next
    8. Select Next
    9. Select Next
    10. Enter Quicken
    11. Select Finish

To enable or disable an outbound rule:
    1. Open Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
    2. Select Outbound Rules
    3. Right click on the rule and select Enable Rule or Disable Rule
    Note: To create a rule for the Quicken patching process, use: %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Quicken\quickenPatch.exe

My assumption is this specific network communication issue is temporary (for example, the destination host may be down for maintenance) and not required (for example, Quicken is checking for program updates).

• senequier
    senequier Member
    Hi Sherlock, I tried your solution but it dod not do anything. Still the same issue. Thanks
  • senequier
    senequier Member
    edited April 2020
    I have the same issue with Loading One Step Update until it gets to the password. About 30s. tried all the solution I saw to no avail. Quicken team needs to get on this. [removed - speculative/disruptive]
  • Dave526
    Dave526 Member ✭✭
    I'm running Windows 10 Release 25.21, Build 27.1.25.21.

Over the past few days "Update Now" and "One Step Update Settings" have been very slow (> 20 seconds) before it pops up the vault password dialog or the update settings dialog. (Perhaps related? It seems that Quicken itself is very slow to start...)

I don't think I've done anything differently. I did do a validation on my data file - no errors encountered - but not sure what else to do.

Once it gets going, the update runs at "normal" speed - total time to interact with my 8 institutions seems about the same as the time waiting for that initial password request.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭
    In the past few weeks, I notice a long delay between clicking "Update" to run One Step Update (OSU), and appearance of the password dialog box for me to enter my password vault password - just now I timed it at 34 seconds. After that, it works normally.

I have not added any accounts to OSU. I did recently remove and re-add my two Citi credit cards when my account numbers were changed by Citi.

I update 19 accounts at 7 institutions. Never used to take more than a few seconds.
    My data file is quite large - 186MB.

Any ideas how to speed this up?
    Quicken for Windows subscription on Win 100 x64.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    I'm seeing the same thing on the first OSU of the day.  Started the last few days as you say.

Adding- The OSU password window slowness only happens on the first OSU of the day.  This happened once before when a server was throttling a daily file update to Quicken. 

Almost every day, at the start of the first OSU of the day, Quicken downloads a file called fidir.zip which contains banking connection information.  When the server connection is slow, it takes a while to download and extract the contents of the zip file.
  • Hugh O'Donnell
    Hugh O'Donnell Member ✭✭
    So it took a HUGE shot gun for me to fix this. I was on Windows 7 still. I upgraded to Windows 10, and this is now fixed for me. I wonder if they have some code that chokes on Windows 7. What OS are you other guys on?
  • bill L2
    bill L2 Member ✭✭
    having the same problem with the speed, but OSU freezes the program and I have to use task manager to end program
  • markus1957
    The OSU password window slowness only happens on the first OSU of the day.  This happened once before when a server was throttling a daily file update to Quicken. 

Almost every day, at the start of the first OSU of the day, Quicken downloads a file called fidir.zip which contains banking connection information.  When the server connection is slow, it takes a while to download and extract the contents of the zip file.
  • markus1957
    The OSU password window slowness only happens on the first OSU of the day.  This happened once before when a server was throttling a daily file update to Quicken. 

• markus1957

• Bart
    Bart Member ✭✭
    OSU is still slow on subsequent tries during the day. Takes approx. 35 seconds to load. No issues with speed of account updates after the initial load delay.
  • markus1957
    I see that now also-

Using Windows resource monitor, the following servers are being contacted, one must be slow-

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There can be a lot of things other than server connection speed that can slow down the initial OSU...internet connection speed, available memory, some other process(es) running in the background (like antivirus program, other software updates, etc.) and too many applications being open.  If it is caused by a memory issue, close other programs you might have open or reboot your computer to clear the memory.
    In my case my laptop is getting old and is a bit underpowered...processor capability, memory capacity, etc...so whenever some other program is running in the background my system can be agonizingly slow.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.15 on Windows 10)
  • Dave526
    Dave526 Member ✭✭
    A few things...

While the slow OSU password window does happen on the first OSU of the day, it also happens on subsequent OSU's if sufficient (?) time has elapsed.

It appears that the fidir.zip file is not being downloaded each time, or, at least, it's date/time hasn't changed. It's possible that the same file is being downloaded each time and that it's date/time is being preserved.

Finally, while fidir.zip is a large file, it's less than one MB so transmission time should be reasonably quick.

Perhaps the recent moves to force users onto the subscription track have resulted in significantly more load on the Quicken servers, and that's what's slowing things down?
This discussion has been closed.