Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken One Step Bill Pay not working

Home and Business 2017.
I was planning to update today but I first I tried to pay my bills through May 1st and back up.
I selected OSU, it took longer than usual to complete. I then had the account screen but it was asking me to enter my bank password, I entered the password but it would not complete the update. I then tried to update via the account screen, it processed but it did not actually update. These are the exact same symptoms as the December-January problem.
Has this problem resurfaced? Should I go ahead and update to Subscription?

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is very similar to the problem that occurred at the end of last year. Bill Pay is no longer an option within the One Step Update account listing or the Online Center listing of financial institutions. Register listings marked to Send can not be processed from within the Quicken program.
    Isn't Bill Pay supposed to be available until the end of August?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to edit the above post but that failed. I am running the following Quicken software on Win10:
    Year: 2020
    Version: R25.21
    Build: 27.1.25.21
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Some additional information is that there appear to be new (duplicate) payment accounts listed on One Step Update as if the banks were capable of using Direct Connect to make payments. My banks do not have this capability.
    As I remember there was a sequence of steps recommended to re-establish Bill Pay after Quicken fixed the problem in the January timeframe. Can someone direct me to those instructions? I haven't been able to find them myself.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Hello, @jrfaris

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Did you have a couple of accounts set up in quicken to pay bills? Could you right click on the account you normally pay out of, go to edit/delete account. Once here can you click online services. There should be two boxes with different options,  the bottom one should say online bill services. In your case it should say connected to quicken bill pay. If it does not it should say set up now. Go ahead and sign in if it does not have that option.

Can you try this and let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Both of my bill pay accounts said "Set Up Now" so I started to set up one of them. The next screen asked be to Activate Bill Pay if I had already signed up. After clicking on that, I was asked if I wanted to "disconnect this service". At that point I cancelled out and decided to wait to see if I should proceed with de-activating and then re-activating Bill Pay. I'm not sure how or when the Bill Pay accounts became inactive. I did have a One Step Update fail and result in a Quicken program crash earlier this week.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • M.H.
    M.H. Member
    SAME PROBLEM - seen within last few days: Online center won't "Update send" bills/Quicken Bill Pay missing from OSU.

I have an active Quicken Bill Pay account (paying from only 1 account) using my Quicken 2019 Premier edition with current updates. Same experience as jrfaris reports.
  • Stephen Blendermann
    Stephen Blendermann Windows Beta Beta
    I reported this to support a week ago. They passed it on to development to be fixed. Haven't heard anything since. It looks like R25.21 broke it. Bill Pay was missing from my account and could not be activated. When I rried again today, it now shows as set to use Bill Pay, but the Bill Pay account information is missing.
  • FordH
    FordH Member ✭✭
    Quicken Francisco -- Hopefully you are still monitoring this thread.

There are several threads on this forum addressing the problems with Quicken Bill Pay in R25.21 and the new Quicken Bill Manager. I posted in one entitled "Quicken Bill Pay Not Working". No Quicken monitor has joined that thread to offer any solutions, so I will try here. Following is the gist of my posts on the other thread.

Around April 1, I upgraded to Quicken Deluxe 2020, R25.21, Build 27.1 25.21, from Quicken Deluxe 2017.

A few days later when I tried to pay bills using Quicken Bill Pay, the connection failed. I tried deactivating and reactivating, but that didn't work. I keep getting the error message "Sorry. We encountered and error. (Its not your fault)" "Quicken is having trouble connecting to Quicken Bill Pay - New".

I have tried to reactivate on several days over the past week and continue to get the same error message. In addition, my online payee list has vanished from my Quicken data file.

jrfaris -- You are correct. This is the same problem with the same error message that we encountered 3 moths ago or so. In the "Quicken Bill Pay Not Working"
    barry987 described a work-around. You might want to give it a try. I couldn't get it to work for me.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @jrfaris said:
    > I was asked if I wanted to "disconnect this service". At that point I cancelled out and decided to wait to see if I should proceed with de-activating and then re-activating Bill Pay.

I'm concerned that disconnecting/de-activating Bill Pay service could affect things like my online payee list and payment account activations. I'm not sure what is meant by "go ahead and sign in". Is this a situation where Quicken needs to implement a fix before attempting to re-establish Bill Pay? I believe that was the suggestion when this happened previously (January timeframe).
    Quicken user since 1995
  • efayinaz
    efayinaz Member
    I am having the same issue as jrfaris. I also was concerned about saying I wanted to "disconnect this service" for fear I would go further down the rabbit hole.

I had someone from quicken bill pay tell me to deactivate my quicken bill pay and then tell me it should then say Reset Now, but that option did not show up. Now I am totally offline. When he could not help me anymore he just said sorry, call Quicken Support, but they are closed today for the holiday weekend.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Yesterday, I went to pay a bill with QBP from the check window. When I tried to send the bill -- there was no QBP. I disabled the online billing from the checking account and added it back. Sent payment.

Today, no QBP for the checking account and none in the Online center. Account show no active bill pay service.

What is going on and how do I resolve the issue?
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Another quirk--
    Under account list it show that my FI is my online bill payer
    But if I click edit and go to that account directly it say "set up" bill pay.

BTW, I have never used my FI for online bill payments.
  • chuck-gcs
    chuck-gcs Member ✭✭
    Add my very displeased voice to this post.
    I purchased a Quicken Premier subscription in January but have held off installing it due to the insane problems and failures with the bill payment system. Like many others, I have used Quicken Bill Pay since way back when it was Check Free and until the meltdown at the end of 2019 have never had a reason to complain. So now we are back to the dark days of trying to get a functional QBP - Quicken relationship.
    My bill pay account has (AGAIN) stopped sending payments and the entry for QBP in the "add account" list suddenly shows "Quicken Bill Pay - OLD". I guess that is just a reflection of what we are all feeling, i.e. That this is getting OLD !!
    And AGAIN, no support from QBP which appears to be staffed with just 1 person with no helpful information, and Quicken support is closed for the weekend and however much longer. :s
    Quicken 2017 Premier
    Ver R19.8
    Build 26.1.19.8
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    this was for windows not mac -- sorry
  • FordH
    FordH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I called Quicken Bill Pay Support and was told that the upgrade from Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2020 caused me to lose the ability to interface with QBP through Quicken. If I understood correctly, there are technical differences between the way QBP connects with Quicken 2017 and the Quicken subscription services. QBP would not upgrade me to QBP functionality that can connect to the subscription service. So it appears that I am SOL, (Removed-Inaccurate) 

The QBP guy actually recommended that I start using Bill Manager immediately. That I will not do. Other threads on this forum suggest that Bill Manager is a mess in its current state and I will not reward Quicken for sticking me this way.
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Yesterday, I went to pay a bill with QBP from the check window. When I tried to send the bill -- there was no QBP. I disabled the online billing from the checking account and added it back. Sent payment.

Today, no QBP for the checking account and none in the Online center.
    Under account list it show that my FI is my online bill payer.
    But if I click edit in account list and go to that account directly it say "set up" bill pay. BTW, I have never used my FI for online bill payments.

What is going on and how do I resolve the issue?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @jrfaris said:
    > > @jrfaris said:
    > > I was asked if I wanted to "disconnect this service". At that point I cancelled out and decided to wait to see if I should proceed with de-activating and then re-activating Bill Pay. I'm concerned that disconnecting/de-activating Bill Pay service could affect things like my online payee list and payment account activations.

Today, I decided to try again with the Bill Pay re-activation process. I went ahead and disconnected the bill pay service when prompted to do so. At that point, the activation stopped and I was back on the account register screen. I restarted the Bill Pay activation process and was successful in completing activation for the single account. I had to go through the activation, disconnect and re-activation process for each of my payment accounts. After completing the re-activations, Quicken Bill Pay - New was restored to the One Step Update and the On-Line Center account lists and I was able to schedule and send a Bill Pay payment. (I did note that the Online Payee list was lost after I disconnected the service but it returned when Bill Pay was reactivated).
    So, it appears that the reactivation process was successful and Bill Pay continues to be available (at least for now). Hopefully it will continue to be an option until Bill Manager becomes a more viable payment system. I am still trying to resolve the Check Pay problem that I discussed in another thread and am concerned about the fees some billers want to apply to Quick Pay payments.
    (see thread: "...what are the limits & fees for Quick Pay and Check Pay")
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think there is something else going on, as in this isn't directly related to the Quicken subscription no matter what Quicken support has said.

First off @chuck-gcs is reporting having the same problem even though he is on Quicken 2017 and the last patch release, which was in January.

The timing for R25.21 does seem close to the time this started, so I guess that is a possible cause (but not likely given chuck-gcs' report of the problem), but you can prove it one way or another by downgrading your release by installing R25.18 (release 2/18/2020) from here:

Note it certainly isn't "Quicken Subscription" where the change/problem happened.  Quicken Subscription started in 2018, and clearly people have been using Quicken Bill Pay with it all these years.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken do you have?
    Help -> About Quicken
    Signature:
  • nooncaster
    nooncaster Member ✭✭
    Q for windows
    R 25.21
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that my comment above was actually submitted before the last one @jrfaris just submitted, but for some reason was sent to the moderators and was delayed.  So it is a bit out of sequence when you consider this part of that comment.

"So, it appears that the reactivation process was successful and Bill Pay continues to be available (at least for now). Hopefully it will continue to be an option until Bill Manager becomes a more viable payment system."

Which does "strengthen" what I was saying, I think the problem is actually on the Quicken Bill Pay side.  I wouldn't doubt that given that Quicken Inc's contract was due to expire around this time (before it was extended), something got "turned off", and maybe they have turned it back on, but Quicken has already "disconnected", and needs to be reconnected.   (Wild guess, take with a big grain off salt.)
    Signature:
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW ,

You may remember me from the other thread where we had a discussion about Quicken bill pay on Q2017 vs. subscription version. This thread illustrates what I was trying to explain about Quicken Bill Pay on Q2017 vs subscription. The transition is NOT seamless.

Above, @FordH says;
    "I called Quicken Bill Pay Support and was told that the upgrade from Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2020 caused me to lose the ability to interface with QBP through Quicken. If I understood correctly, there are technical differences between the way QBP connects with Quicken 2017 and the Quicken subscription services. QBP would not upgrade me to QBP functionality that can connect to the subscription service. So it appears that I am SOL, (Removed-Inaccurate) "

This has always been my understanding... Upgrading from Q2017 to Subscription requires that the user create a new Quicken Bill Pay profile in Quicken Subscription in order to continue to use Quicken Bill Pay. All payees, payment schedules, bank info, etc, etc must be re-entered.

This is why I was calling for an extension of Quicken 2017 download services (in the other thread) to co-incide with the extension of quicken Bill Pay. This would give us Q2017 + Bill Pay users more time to navigate the necessary changes (and deficiencies with Bill Manager) during the Covid-19 Crisis. These are real issues and are not necessarily well understood... as outlined in this thread.

Apparently this plea has been heard and denied by Quicken Management.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrnic408 I actually did think about you and that thread when looking at and posting on this thread(I notice Quicken never responded to clarify it), but I do believe your question on if a Quicken Subscription user can continue to use their old account and pay the fee instead of switching to a new account and not pay a fee (if using Premier) doesn't directly relate to this thread.

Yes people using QBP are having problems, but did you notice that one of the people on this thread complaining about the problem is using Quicken 2017?

And then there is also this thread about the problem in January where QBP went "missing" just like it is now.

Notice that both Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription users reported the problem.
    Signature:
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    mine went away last week on quicken 2017 windows impossible to get help
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Well about all I can say is that you are not alone there is a longer thread on this here:
    [removed self-referencing link]
    Signature:
  • OleSVM
    OleSVM Member ✭✭✭
    While I do not have an answer to your main question I would like to offer a comment.

Your Quicken H&B 2017 should have full access to downloads through April 30th 2020.  After that you will need to upgrade to retain online connectivity.

• dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    I have a similar problem, can you see online payees? All of mine disappeard 3 or 4 days ago
  • dan5
    dan5 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issues quicken 2017 windows, my online payees diappeared, can not deactivate and reactivate. No amount of super validating and deleting past years data fixes it. I was on with support for 2.5 hours today. Very nice support person, but no progress. Suggestion is to start all a new file form scratch. If i have to do that I will probably just drop quicken. Support suggested enough people have this problem to wait 24 hours to see if they can find a solution
  • RWGH&B
    RWGH&B Member ✭✭
    I woud reestablish your Bill Pay Accounts.
    Tools, Accounts, (pick an account that uses BP) , Edit, On-Line, (reestablish Bill Pay)
  • davidm4444
    davidm4444 Member ✭✭
    same problem here!
    2017 VR19.8 taking longer than usual for PasswordVault, and suddenly I can't pay bills anymore... I did my usual entry in check register, "Send", select payee, enter payment amount, Save... but ONeStep is suddenly prompting for my Credit Union password for this payment ??? (which THAT connection stopped working 2 months ago, I have to import QFX files for that) so entering that password here does not work anyway.

also, I click on Tools, Set Up Quicken Bill Pay... and nothing happens.

I feel like this Quicken/QuickenBillPay is on its last legs... and I can't imagine moving to ANY of their NEW products with this track record. (i've only been doing bill pay since 1989 ( with CheckFree, dial up modem, etc) I don't know how they broke something that was working fine.
This discussion has been closed.