Automatic creation of Renaming Rules causing chaos

Two months ago I recorded a transaction with "The Marshall Center." Now when looking at the Payees & Rules window I noted >100 uses of "The Marshall Center." Upon further investigation I found that all historical transactions at "Marshall's" were renamed to "The Marshall Center." Luckily the categories weren't changed so I could relatively easily go and rename them back to "Marshall's." I found that a renaming rule had been created. I don't recall validating this renaming rule nor change to historical transactions and now wonder what other Payees have been renamed unexpectedly.

Using the current version on Mac.

Comments

• Hello @Ploooplooo

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Good to hear you were able to sort out your original Marshall transactions back. If you did want to double check the other transactions as well you can add a column with the downloaded payee names. These are the ones directly from the bank so they're a bit different but still identifiable. If you go into the bottom right click on the column button and then select statement Payee. This should help you out in making sure everything else is also listed correctly. 

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, I went through this process and found a couple more.

Note that this doesn't resolve the issue, it just allowed me to clean up the mess.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Quicken Windows so I don't know what is available on Quicken Mac, but Quicken Mac "should" support these two options that Quicken Windows supports (whenever you have an automatic operation there should at least be an option to "confirm it).

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Chris_QPW. Unfortunately for me, QW is at least a decade more advanced than QM so no such option exists.
This discussion has been closed.