Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Product Enhancements (Windows)

Add ability to "lock" categories

I have some top-level categories with several subcategories each. I never want to use the top-level categories themselves; I always want the detail provided by the subcategories.
Examples, I have category Medical, but I always want to use subcategories like Medical:Doctor or Medical:Prescriptions, etc.
Suggestion: allow categories to be "locked" to prevent them from being accidentally used.
(I originally thought to lock only top-level categories, but with multiple levels, a user might want to lock a subcategory that itself has subcategories.)
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
16 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I never want to use any category other than the lowest level in the hierarchy. 
  • eqpueqpu Member ✭✭✭
    Very useful feature. I also do this but manually by re categorizing such transactions by viewing the reports. Ability to lock category will be very useful indeed.
    Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 10 (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that if they were to give the ability to hide the top category without hiding the sub categories it might accomplish the same thing without changing the settings UI and be less "invasive" than say a popup dialog that tells you you can't use a given category.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • mjrudimjrudi Member
    Agree. A "Total Category" should not include transactions. It should be the sum of its subcategories