Reconciling credit card account but negative/positive balances disagree.

Josh Jones
Josh Jones Member ✭✭
I posted back in February the following and still have the same issue. Here is an updated version of that post:

Since January, reconciling my credit card account automatically has become impossible. I now have to reconcile through "paper", even though I am putting the exact same number into the balance. It's as if the auto-balance feature is swapping the sign.
Example: I have a $2000 balance on my card. In the account, it is -$2000.00 (in red), as it should be. If I auto-reconcile, and it says that the balance is $2000, it says that I am $4000 away from reconciling. If I choose "paper" reconciliation and place $2000 in the balance box, it reconciles perfectly. If I put -$2000 in the box, it says that I am $4000 away.

Note: My Credit Union recently switched to a new system and this may be the cause but I'm looking for either confirmation that the problem is on their side or is there a simple fix on my side.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    You're already using the simple fix.  Until the Online Balance is retrieved properly, do not reconcile using the Online Balance.  If you're using the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken Support.  Otherwise, contact the financial institution.

Answers

• Josh Jones
    Josh Jones Member ✭✭
    Screenshot of balance
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    You're already using the simple fix.  Until the Online Balance is retrieved properly, do not reconcile using the Online Balance.  If you're using the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken Support.  Otherwise, contact the financial institution.
  • dsmith3733
    dsmith3733 Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem - Quicken is using the wrong number sign - doubling my online balance, rather than canceling it out. It has worked up until this morning. I have a credit balance on my account (+86.66) and this is reflected in the running balance on quicken. However when I try to reconcile, and select the 2 transactions that make up the 86.66, it's adding the 2 numbers and giving me a discrepancy of 172.32, rather than zeroing out the 2 numbers. I have no clue how to fix this. Please advise. (again - it's worked correctly up until now).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem - Quicken is using the wrong number sign - doubling my online balance, rather than canceling it out. It has worked up until this morning. I have a credit balance on my account (+86.66) and this is reflected in the running balance on quicken. However when I try to reconcile, and select the 2 transactions that make up the 86.66, it's adding the 2 numbers and giving me a discrepancy of 172.32, rather than zeroing out the 2 numbers. I have no clue how to fix this. Please advise. (again - it's worked correctly up until now).
    If you have the same problem, the advice is the same.  Until the Online Balance is retrieved properly, do not reconcile using the Online Balance.  If you're using the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken Support.  Otherwise, contact the financial institution.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-account-quicken-windows
  • Josh Jones
    Josh Jones Member ✭✭
    Mine was corrected a couple of months ago.
    It took talking to a manager and directly to the tech department but an update in the system corrected the error.
    It was definitely a problem with the bank, not Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.