Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

can't open files - Q2004 - long file name

rutech
rutech Member
can't open files

Best Answers

• rutech
    rutech Member
    Accepted Answer
    Like many others I have struggled with Q2004 UK version in Windows 10 not being able to open previous backup files, typically from EOY copies.

I have now found the source of my problem and I have a solution which works consistently for me. I hope this may be of help to others.

The solution is to keep the new Quicken root filename to 9 characters or less.

The reason is that the .QSD file embeds the quicken rootname at the start of the file, i.e. "QW Ver. 3.00.00 + MAECo.~SD......" where the rootname here is "MAECo".
    If I create a new Quicken file (e.g. Copy or EOY), with a rootname longer than 9 characters, e.g. "MAECo123456" , then the new QSD file contains "QW Ver. 3.00.00 + ECo123456.~SD...."

Clearly what has happened is the root filename has been truncated to the last 9 characters. This is most likely an artefact of the way Windows 10 handles long filenames. In the distant MS past, filenames were limited to 8 characters. This is still at the heart of the MS operating system. With subsequent versions of Windows, longer filenames, i.e. > 8 characters, are managed in different ways, and Quicken 2004 is incompatible with Windows 10 long filename handling.
    This, I believe is cause of the "can't open file" message.

So what to do if you have this problem?
    These are binary files and not readily edited. So
    Step 1) - open the .QSD file in a text editor, such as Notepad. Identify the 9-character Quicken root filename.
    Step 2) - rename all the *.Q files to use this 9-character filename.

Now, open the new .QDF file in Quicken. I recommend opening the .QDF file directly.
    For all future backups/EOY copies etc - keep the filenames short.
  • rutech
    rutech Member
    Accepted Answer
    ... Following on from the previous post.
    A simpler solution to having a long filename, which fails to open in Q2004 in Windows 10.

Step 1B) Delete all the quicken files except the .QDF file
    Step 2B) Rename the .QDF, such that the rootname is 9 characters or less

Now, open the new .QDF file in Quicken.
    New supplementary files will be created automatically.

Answers

• rutech
    rutech Member
    Accepted Answer
    Like many others I have struggled with Q2004 UK version in Windows 10 not being able to open previous backup files, typically from EOY copies.

I have now found the source of my problem and I have a solution which works consistently for me. I hope this may be of help to others.

The solution is to keep the new Quicken root filename to 9 characters or less.

The reason is that the .QSD file embeds the quicken rootname at the start of the file, i.e. "QW Ver. 3.00.00 + MAECo.~SD......" where the rootname here is "MAECo".
    If I create a new Quicken file (e.g. Copy or EOY), with a rootname longer than 9 characters, e.g. "MAECo123456" , then the new QSD file contains "QW Ver. 3.00.00 + ECo123456.~SD...."

Clearly what has happened is the root filename has been truncated to the last 9 characters. This is most likely an artefact of the way Windows 10 handles long filenames. In the distant MS past, filenames were limited to 8 characters. This is still at the heart of the MS operating system. With subsequent versions of Windows, longer filenames, i.e. > 8 characters, are managed in different ways, and Quicken 2004 is incompatible with Windows 10 long filename handling.
    This, I believe is cause of the "can't open file" message.

These are binary files and not readily edited. So
    Step 1) - open the .QSD file in a text editor, such as Notepad. Identify the 9-character Quicken root filename.
    Step 2) - rename all the *.Q files to use this 9-character filename.

Now, open the new .QDF file in Quicken. I recommend opening the .QDF file directly.
    For all future backups/EOY copies etc - keep the filenames short.
  • rutech
    rutech Member
    Accepted Answer
    ... Following on from the previous post.
    A simpler solution to having a long filename, which fails to open in Q2004 in Windows 10.

Step 1B) Delete all the quicken files except the .QDF file
    Step 2B) Rename the .QDF, such that the rootname is 9 characters or less

Now, open the new .QDF file in Quicken.
    New supplementary files will be created automatically.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't open files - Q2004 for UK.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Quicken has, for a long time, struggled with very long path names, path names that contain spaces or special characters and file names that don't adhere to the 8.3 convention (where the .3 is ".QDF").
    I haven't tested your findings. but after a quick glance they seem reasonable.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP