Home Before you Buy

I have the Win 2017 version, possible to start the 2020 version on 1/1/2020 transactions?

reybiereybie Member ✭✭
I'd like to keep my 2017 data intact, is it possible to start the 2020 version download transaction/balances on 1/1/20?

Answers

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2020 version will import all of your data from the 2017 program. Choose that option when you first start the new version and you'll be fine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You should keep all your transactions (new and old) in the same one data file and just continue on.  Or do you want to start fresh on Jan 1, 2020?  You can keep the current file and open it in the 2020 version and also start a brand new file, go to FILE - NEW. 
  • reybiereybie Member ✭✭
    I was thinking of starting a new file with 2020 transactions only and have the 2020 version import that.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not recommended, for a variety of reasons, to start over with a new year when using the modern Quicken program.

If you really want to do this, it is very unlikely that you will be able to get more than 90 days of transaction download for any of your accounts (that's the limit that most banks set).

You could let QM start with your QM2017 file and then select all transactions before 1/1/20 in the All Transactions register and delete them. Be prepared to wait quite a while for this to finish. Again, I don't think there are any really good reason to do this though.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • reybiereybie Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the input. I have to stew on this for a bit... :)
  • LadySadieLadySadie Member
    I would also love to keep all my old data using 2017 and start anew with Quicken 2020 from 1/1/2020, also. I have so much garbage from 30 years of Quicken, a clean start would be great. Can I have 2017 and 2020 on the same computer?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer to last question: unless you're running some sort of partitioning software (thus 2 operating systems on the same computer) you can't run 2 copies of QWin on the same computer as the install of QW2020 will act just like it's predecessors and remove any prior versions.

RE; your old data, look in Quicken Help for "Year End Copy".  But note, after you make that separation it's next to impossible to "put Humpty together again" should you change your mind.
    BTW, my production file has data from 1983 ... so why do you want to cut your file down?  It won't help with Q's perfornance.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can update and open your old data file in the new version.  I would rename it to something like Old Data or Prior to 2020, etc.  And start a new file for 2020.  You can have more than 1 data file.  Most of us have several test files to answer questions.  Your dat is not kept in the program but in a separate data file under Documents.
  • reybiereybie Member ✭✭
    I actually misunderstood this whole new subscription thing. I thought it was a SaaS model where there is no longer a need to install software on our computers. I was going to keep my Q2017 installed in my PC and just access the online subscription, this is what I had in mind when I first posted the question.

Now it's much clearer.
This discussion has been closed.