Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Square brackets in “adding category” for transfer category causing error - not taking symbols

Hi, my quicken has been set up for years,originally not by me. Withholding taxes under payroll are listed under payroll, ie fica,fwt,swt and then again as a transfer category with square brackets. I want to set up paid family med. leave, (PFML) the same way. However, after following directions thru Quicken, and I try to put brackets in like so [PFML], into the add category field, I get an error message saying not accepting symbols?? I’ve tried many times to no avail. Can someone please help? Windows 7, PC, and I believe version Q is 2017. Thank you.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• HGL HGL Member
    I did put it in as a category without brackets. Now when I make a quarterly pmt with that category it subtracts the amt paid from the weekly deductions. I could Change he category for this pmt to payroll expense category when making quarterly pmt. I still would like PFML this to be listed under payroll info for reporting purposes. Right now, I have to run separate reports. Accounts are my checking and savings accounts (2). Want PFML to be transacted from my checking account like everything else I do in Quicken.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Are you paying employees?  Or is this for your own paychecks?
  • HGL HGL Member
    Paying employees
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    OK then I guess you need to setup a new ACCOUNT for the PFML deductions.