Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

loading QFX files on webconnect-deactivated capital one accounts?

per this thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874067/ongoing-4-16-20-you-may-experience-errors-updating-some-of-your-accounts#latest

capital one is having problems. so i deactivated the on-line connection for my C1 savings account and then downloaded a QFX from C1's website. when i drag this file onto the ledger window, quicken apparently recognizes that there is a transaction but then never adds the transaction and instead gives the error:

Quicken is unable to update this account because Web Connect support for your financial institution has been either temporarily, or permanently discontinued [CC-885].

using a text editor, i can see that the transaction is clearly in the QFX file. so why does quicken want to connect to C1 over the web? i can't get a QIF file for this particular account for some reason, so short of entering transactions by hand, this is it.

this same procedure works with my C1 credit card account, which was never linked to C1.

how do i make this work? shouldnt the QFX file be self-contained?

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The QFX might be a self contained text file, but Quicken is still going to contact its servers (Not C1) to verify that your bank is still supported. If it isn't, import will be blocked.

For whatever reason, Capital One is being blocked from import, and that is why you are getting that error. (I cannot explain why in your case, but I know a lot of banks (or more importantly, their service providers) are getting hammered with the extensive online activity as more people bank online because of Covid 19. Also, there are a slew of people checking often to verify stimulus check receipt.
  • q97_fugeeq97_fugee Member ✭✭
    what's the reason for that though? why in the world does quicken have to contact any server anywhere to import an XML file that contains a transaction?

in my case the problem is as described in the linked thread; the other day quicken asked me to re-authenticate with C1 and i didn't think anything of it at the time - thought that maybe a max credential time had expired or something. however, it's a symptom of whatever is happening with the stimulus checks. trying to re-authenticate results in an error: AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (PAUTH_INVALID_TOKEN:cccapture.350)

since it won't let me re-authenticate (and since i never authenticated for my C1 credit card and can successfully import QFX), i figured i could just switch to that method for savings. but no dice.

are you saying that separately from my turning off webconnect that quicken themselves can't connect to C1 and therefore any import to a C1-based account is impossible?
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't comment on the issues Capital One is having-I do not deal with them. 

But in regards to your inability to import QFX files (your question): yes, Quicken must verify that it is currently partnered with that bank to import transactions. Basically, Capital one has said no Quicken import (either temporarily, or permanently) at this time. This isn't a Quicken issue as much as honoring what Capital One wants.

Please don't shoot the messenger, but that is how it works.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further explaining the "call home" action during a QFX import.
    Say, for sake of argument, that you're running Q2017 ... which "sunsets" the end of this month.  You bank/card/etc will, probably continue to product Web Connect (AKA, QFX) files for download, but because your product, in this example, has expired it's no longer eligible for downloads.
    The only way to enforce that is to have Q "call home" and verify that both the product and the bank/card/etc are still supported for download.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • q97_fugeeq97_fugee Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA alright, so typical modern "software as a service" BS. that's fine, nothing i can do about it short of spinning up a virtual machine and going back to Q97.

this makes more sense than what @John_in_NC is saying, because at the moment that i download the QFX file from C1, the interaction with their server is finished. and they let me log in and download it yesterday, in the midst of this crisis. further, i just downloaded and imported a QFX from C1 into my credit card account, so i can't believe C1 is behind preventing me from importing the QFX.

i can see how C1 doesn't want people hitting refresh over and over again in quicken/mint/etc since the user cost is minimal and causes a lot of work on their server.

still, i can't square how the CC works (apparently no phone-home) vs. the savings account (failing phone-home). maybe my mistake was allowing quicken to do the downloads itself in the first place.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "call home" is to Q's servers ... not CapOne's.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP