just me? extremely sluggish in Payees and Rules

it takes 2-5 seconds to enter each letter that I type in the search bar in the payees and rules window; OS Mojave; 2020 premier; my data file is only 40MB; I have exported/imported the data file a couple of times; nothing helps; wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Answers

• Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    p.s. I mean that as I type at a normal speed, the letter does not appear for 2-5 seconds after I type it.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you restarted the computer?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    finally getting back to this; I restart the computer several times a day; not because of quicken; so that is not the problem; any other ideas? I've been using quicken for 30 years or so; never experienced this in quicken 2007! and in the normal search bar in the accounts view, it types at normal speed. p.s I also restore the OS from recovery a few times a year, etc etc; every troubleshooting step you can think of probably I have done.
  • RickO
    Well, I guess I won't suggest any more steps if you think you've done everything I can think of. I'd suggest you contact Quicken Support so they can live-view your screen and hopefully determine what's going on.
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    I did not mean to be snarky; but I have been a macuser for 32 years; also I report 100-200 bugs to apple engineers a year; so I frequently do an smc reset, nvram reset, test user account, reformatting computer and restoring from recovery etc. Still looking for a response as to other people have the same problem? anyone?
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    wondering why noone is answering this post?
  • RickO
    I answered and I'd guess nobody else has any other ideas. Also, probably nobody else who reads the forum has seen this. So time to contact Quicken Support.
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    thanks Rick; yeah, I've reported it several times, uploaded screen recordings, showed it live to a dozen or so agents, etc. No progress from Quicken; also happens on every other computer and OS in my household. Oh well! I'm learning patience as each letter takes 2-4 seconds to respond to the typing.
  • RickO
    That is very strange indeed. That it happens on other computers rules out a whole bunch of things. It does not appear to be widespread as I've not seen it mentioned by anyone else. 

Are there any third party tools or extensions that are common to all the computers this happens on? That's where I'd look. Have you tried safe startup?

I see this in Safari (on thijs site) occasionally, but never in Quicken.
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    yes, safe boot, smc reset, test user, etc; no luck; I've never seen it anywhere but quicken;
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni mod
    Hello @Peter

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you are still experiencing this trouble.

May I ask that you navigate to Quicken > About Quicken and provide the release you are currently running? 

Also, as a test have you tried to create a test file to see if you experience this issue there?

To create a test file, navigate to File > New and start from scratch. 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka, I am on 5.15.3, but it has been extremely sluggish since every version starting in august of 2019. I'll try the test version. but with no transactions or payees in the test version, not sure it will prove anything
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    OK so types normally in a completely empty payees window; I'll make a copy of my 'problem' file, open it, then delete payees 100 at a time to see how many payees quicken 2020 can 'handle'; there was no problem with this in 2007; just saying...
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    OK, forgot, this version of quicken does not allow to delete any payees, so no way to test it
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    I have 4795 payees, which again was no problem at all for earlier versions of quicken; actually, since this is only a test file, I'll go ahead and delete transactions also; of course that would be impossible to do in my working file for obvious reasons
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    I created a dupe of my working data file; I had 40,500 transactions and 4800 payees; I have 12000 transactions left and it has made no difference in the speed of typing in the search bar in Payees and Rules; I deleted so far about 1000 payees so down to 3600; still just as slow; I'll keep deleting more payees at this point.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni mod
    Hello @Peter

Thank you for the response and for attempting the test file and letting me know the results.

This has helped to isolate the issue to be within the data file itself and ruled out the issue being the application or the computer.

You may consider saving a backup and exporting and importing the data into a new file to see if that improves the speed.

To do so, please export the data using the "Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF).

This may sound odd as you are using a Mac, however, this is the best format for transferring data.

Please save the exported data to the desktop or someone easy to locate.

Please navigate to File > New > Start From Scratch. You will be prompted to add an account, please just close the window and do you not add a bank account.

Then navigate to File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF) and navigate to the previously exported file.

Investments accounts may have a discrepancy after the transfer, results may vary. I would compare this new file to the previous file to make sure everything is in order.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    Tyka, I have done that already several times to no avail; I would say it IS the application; it can't seem to handle more than a 'x' number payees; I am trimming the number of payees from the original 4795 to whatever I end up with; I'll let you know if after deleting most of the payees it gets any faster
  • Peter
    Peter Member ✭✭
    OK Problem diagnosed and confirmed; it is definitely a shortcoming with the application; you are limited to about 1000 payees for normal typing; after that it get progressively slower and slower as you add more. In my test file I deleted about 30,000 transactions, and it was still as slow as before, ie 7 seconds to type 7 letters; then I started deleting payees; I started with 4795; when I got down to 3600 still terribly slow; got to 2500 it took about 5 seconds; at 2000 took 4 seconds; at 1000 it finally typed at normal speed; the agent I spoke to this morning while testing this said something about it searching in 'real time'; I have tested this in several other programs that also search in real time, like excel, that has 100,000's of words to search in my spreadsheet, and it types and finds all of them instantly; however this bizarre feature is being coded, please fix it!!!
    it shouldn't take 7 seconds to type a word!! it would be much better to take a second or two to implement the search after typing, instead of several seconds to type a word. I will send this to the engineers also.
  • lindy23
    lindy23 Member
    Peter, I've had the same issue for months now -- long & frustrating lag time when typing into the Payee field, as Quicken searches thru thousands of saved payees (I've got 20+ years of info in my Quicken file). Makes it nearly unusable. The delay only happens with the Payee field, not Category or Memo/Notes or other fields -- I assume that's because I have way more "payee" variations to search among as Quicken tries to save me time (ahem!) with its hopelessly slow Quickfill. For whatever reason, Quicken Premier 2020 for Mac does NOT let you limit Payee history to, say, the last 12 months, instead of all 20+ years' worth of transactions, so when you start typing "a..." you get hundreds and hundreds of suggested Payees dating back to 1999. (I'm told Quicken for Windows allows you to narrow your Payee history so the outdated ones don't keep popping up.) At this point I'd be willing to turn off Quickfill / auto-fill altogether for the entire app just to get normal typing speed back, but...again no option in Mac version. And of course deleting all the saved Payees (under Windows / Payees & Rules) isn't possible either, without deleting all those 20 years of transactions. Nor does "hiding" the payees do anything to keep Quicken from auto-filling. There seems to be no recourse to this until Quicken adds the option to turn off Quickfill or makes search happen faster. Anyway I'm hopeful that more users will post about this issue and get them on the case. Thanks for the thread.
This discussion has been closed.