Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Forcing me to add Capital One 360 account while online updates

I never had an account in this bank nor planning to open one. However, every time I go through an online update of my accounts, this window (attached screenshot) pops up.
The only way I can get out of it is by clicking the 'cancel'. At one point I went ahead and created a manual account but that hasn't stopped this dialog from popping up. I've used the File-->Repair multiple times and no errors have been detected. I'm using Windows Quicken 2020 Subscription. How can I get rid of this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    There is another Capital One Bank - New link that you can select during the Add Account process.  You might want to try that one.  (Be sure to type in the whole name of the bank.  Don't simply rely on the suggested links that come up.)
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • kk123
    kk123 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I can certainly try that but the funny thing is that I've no accounts at Capital One - New either. I've no idea where this name is being picked up during the update.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    @kk123 - When you start typing in Capital One during the setup process the top option in the list is Capital One 360 and it will be highlighted.  If you stop typing further and click on "Next" Quicken will select that one because it is highlighted.
    To prevent that from happening you continue typing in the rest of the name and at some point Capital One - New will show up.  Click on that and then click on Next.
    BTW, the "New" is something Quicken will sometimes add to a FI name when the URL it uses has changed from what was used previously.  So, "New" is not part of the actual bank name, it is just a new link....in this case a new link for Capital One Bank.  I seem to recall this new link was set up when Capital One started their 360 branding (so it's not so "new" anymore).
    If Capital One - New doesn't work for you:  What is the website URL that you go to when you log in to your Capital One savings account?  Maybe we can back into this to find out which Capital One option you should be using in trying to setup.
    One last comment:  This past week there have been a LOT of OSU and new account set up issues.  Capital One is one of the many affected banks, especially with the EWC connection, but apparently less of an issue with the DC connection.  I'm just too cheap to pay the monthly DC fee that Cap One charges so I am with EWC.  I haven't been able to update my Cap One credit card since last Saturday.  These connection issues return a variety of error codes/messages and sometimes simply fail with no error code/message provided.  So, even if this is the correct link for you, you still might encounter an issue setting it up right now.  There is an Alert posted about this that you might want to read if you haven't already:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874067/ongoing-4-16-20-you-may-experience-errors-updating-some-of-your-accounts#latest.
  • kk123
    kk123 Member ✭✭
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to help me.

In your reply above *** If Capital One - New doesn't work for you: What is the website URL that you go to when you log in to your Capital One savings account? Maybe we can back into this to find out which Capital One option you should be using in trying to setup. ****

I stepped through your instructions and selected "Capital One - New" and clicked Next. It is now on this dialog (screenshot attached) but as I mentioned previously, I do not have a Capital One account and hence have no banking url or userid / password to connect.

Thanks
  • Boatnmaniac
    Sorry, I totally misunderstood your issue.  I thought you were trying to connect with Capital One and Quicken was trying to connect you to the wrong Capital One financial institution.
    So help me to get my head straight on this:  Are you trying to set up a new account (and with which one) and Quicken is taking you down this Quicken One path?  Or are you not trying to set up a new account and but this happens when you are trying to run One Step Update?
    Also, please click on Help and About Quicken.  What does it say:
    • Quicken - Starter? Deluxe? Premier? Home & Business?
    • Version
    • Revision
    • Member valid until date (if you have subscription)
  • kk123
    kk123 Member ✭✭
    No problem. Let me try to explain in more detail:

I'm using Windows Quicken 2020 Subscription Home, Business & Rental Property ; Version 25.21, Build 21.27.25.21. I've been a user of Quicken for the past ~ 15 years (happy convert from MS Money). I've banking, investment, credit card, mortgage accounts etc. from various banks and brokers using online updates. I do not have accounts at any of the Capital One institutions nor planning to get one.

What I'm doing is a weekly update manually using "One Step Update==>All Accounts" (I don't use scheduled update)

It updates all accounts successfully except for a few pesky ones for 2FA and security questions.

Towards the end of the update, the "Capital One 360" dialog pops up. I'd been clicking "Cancel" and the update completes ok. I'm trying to get rid of this dialog.

I found the "Capital one - New" and proceeded with the "Next" button and then chose the option to add account "Capital Account - Temporary" and selected the option "Add transactions manually" -- As I don't have a userid/password to connect to Capital One. This create an empty account with no transactions in quicken,

However, this hasn't stopped this pesky dialog. I'm ok to "live with it" but it is annoying.

I tried File-->Repair advised by Quicken support but that did not help. I'll try again to talk with their support.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Thanks for the additional detail.  I think the first step I would take is to update the software.  What you are using is 2 revisions out of date.  You can try to update from your program (Help > Check for Updates) or download the Mondo Patch (https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product).  For some reason some people (including me) have not gotten the recent update notices in Quicken so if you get that then you will need to download the Mondo Patch.  It could be that something in your program is wrong or gotten corrupted so updating can fix that issue.
    Maybe before you update, delete your fictitious Cap One account.  It serves no purposes especially since it didn't fix the issue for you.
    Let me know if that resolves your issue.
  • kk123
    kk123 Member ✭✭
    It is already the latest rev. I just did Help-->Check for update, see screenshot. I've deleted the temp Cap account. I guess I'm out of luck and live with this annoyance.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Please read my first paragraph, again.  Install the Mondo Patch because your system is 2 revisions out of date.
  • kk123
    kk123 Member ✭✭
    It took me a few weeks but I've finally upgraded to R26.21 Mondo, Build 27.1.26.21 but unfortunately the problem still persists.
This discussion has been closed.