Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Performance Issues - Potential Fix?

Suggestion: If you are having performance issues with your Quicken file, try placing a copy in a cloud location (OneDrive, DropBox, etc), launch it and see if your issues disappear. Mine did and I discovered it by accident. Note: You may have to reset some account connections in doing so. I don't understand why it worked, but it did for me. Details below if you care to read further.

My software: 2020 Version R25.21 Build 27.1.25.21 (subscription version)

For What It's Worth: My OS (Win 10 Pro) and programs (including Quicken) are installed on a SSD. All my data (including Quicken data files) is stored on a separate hard drive.

The quick and dirty:
Running the same exact file from the cloud instead of my hard drive is lightning fast. No more 5-10 second delays after entering a transaction and my One Step Updates have gone from taking 3-21 minutes to only 30-40 seconds. I am sharing the following hoping that someone might be able to explain the tremendous performance gain. Even without understanding why this works, I am hopeful that others might get some relief from the constant performance lag if running their data file from a cloud location provides similar results for them.

The gory detail:
I have used Quicken since MS Money was retired. For several years, I did not have any Quicken performance issues. But over the last 12-18 month I have experienced many - if not all - of the performance issues noted across these boards and believe I have tried every potential fix I've come across to no avail. Sometimes the performance lag disappears for a day or two but it ALWAYS comes back. My file was slow to start up. Sometimes it could take upwards of 10 seconds after a transaction was entered before I could make another update. My One Step Update could take anywhere from 3 minutes to 21 minutes for 12 accounts at 9 financial institutions, with only a total of maybe 10 transactions to process across all accounts. I was ready to give up on Quicken altogether because the performance had become unbearable. I have spent way too many hours Validating, Super Validating, creating copies, etc. but I have become too reliant on the software for taxes, etc. so the search for resolution continued.

I archived a file back in Feb before trying the Investment Archive feature and since then tried everything I could find on these boards to resolve my file performance issues in the new file. I cleaned up my Memorized Payee and Security Detail lists, making sure to only update securities I currently hold. I deleted all attachments. I turned off animations. I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and re-installed the latest subscription version of Quicken. Etc, etc. The quickest One Step Update I could get was about 2-1/2 minutes but the next day it would take 5-6 minutes and the software lag would return.

I recently decided I didn't like Investment Archive feature and chose to revert my February archive (which had all the same performance issues described above). This meant I'd have to recreate all the transactions that have occurred since Feb and also go through the effort to make the memorized payee and security detail changes, etc. from the newer file. In order to do this I placed a copy of the current file in the cloud so I could access it from a laptop side-by-side as a reference for all the updates I'd have to make in the Feb file on my PC. Upon completion I decided to try running the One Step Update on both files - one from the cloud on my work laptop and the one on my home PC. Just to make sure I got similar results for what should essentially be identical files at that point. The one on the cloud completed in about 35 seconds while the one on my PC took about 3 minutes. Mind you - the version on the cloud was the exact same file I had been having the issues with on my PC. Thinking that maybe there was simply some issue on my PC (even after the clean Windows & Quicken installs), I decided to run the cloud file from my PC and saw the same lightning fast OSU and no more performance lag. I put my current file in the cloud and have been running using my PC ever since and the performance is still great after 4 days. No lag and One Step Update only takes about 35 seconds to complete.

I have even tried simply placing older files in the cloud for which none of the fixes mentioned above have been applied and achieved similar results (note: this can require resetting account connections, but it has worked for me). This seems to indicate it is not a problem with the actual file, memorized payees, security updates, attachments, etc. Does Quicken simply take exception to not having Quicken Data stored in the program installation folder? If this were the case, I wouldn't think that running the data from a cloud location would provide any relief.

Any thoughts on why running the data file from the cloud seems to eliminate all of the performance issues?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your recommended "Fix" is all but guaranteed data file corruption. Quicken does not recommend use of any cloud service for the data file.An SSD drive is a much safer approach.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it just for grins, running a copy of my data file from Dropbox.
    I didn't see any performance difference. I did see the Dropbox icon show activity during the sessions.
    @James Thomas, where do your "cloud" files live on your local system? On a spinning disk or a solid-state drive? If the latter, that might account for your speed improvement.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your solution indicates there may be a file system problem. You may want to check the disk for errors.

I suggest you always access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive and prevent other programs from accessing the file concurrently (for example, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive,...).
  • James Thomas
    James Thomas Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

GeoffG - I read something similar but understood the potential for data corruption to exist if multiple PC's/user try to work within the file simultaneously. That is not my intent and but that being said, I'd prefer not to have to keep the file in a cloud service anyway so if the SSD is the real reason for the performance gain, that is where I'll be keeping the file going forward.

Rocket J Squirrel - OneDrive did, in fact, place the file on the drive containing my OS, which is the SSD. My original file is stored on a traditional 7200RPM spinning disk. But it always has been and I have not always had these issues. Just the same, looks like I'll be migrating my files back over to the SSD.

Sherlock - I ran check disk and returned 0 errors. But others suggested, the performance improvement may speak more to the fact that OneDrive placed the file on my SSD.
This discussion has been closed.