Home Before you Buy

Subscription Model [edited]

bviltenbvilten Member ✭✭
edited April 22 in Before you Buy
I have 2017 perpetual. I am using QB connect with my bank which QB says will fail to function after Apr 30 2020. If I buy into the subscription to keep my bank connection working what happens if I can't afford to renew? Do I lose access to my application and data? Way to take a page from Microsoft QB.

Best Answers

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "2017 perpetual" or "QB connect"? Are you asking about Quicken or QuickBooks?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • bviltenbvilten Member ✭✭
    The Perpetual license type is purchased once and you run it for as many years as you want. Verses the subscription model where you are forced to buy it again year after year or lose functionality or even access completely. I am referring to QuickBooks Home & Business. QB Connect (may be exactly right name) refers to QBs ability use data directly from your bank.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    This is the Quicken Forum.  Go over to the QuickBooks forum here…

• BD10BD10 Member
    edited April 20
    Regardless of version, the original comment stands as true. I've used Quicken for over 20 years and the features I use have not changed nor improved - just the same thing year after year, yet I've always been forced to re-purchase my license every three years.
    Now I'm told I must re-purchase every year, at about a 70% increase, based on my last 3 year purchase. [removed - off-topic, rant/disruptive]
  • BD10BD10 Member
    edited April 20
    TRUTH: Cost of using Quicken is now $165/year
    TRUTH: The benefit of paying yearly subscription is bank connectivity
    TRUTH: That connectivity already costs $10/month

[removed]
  • dbogeydbogey Member ✭✭
    edited April 22
    BD10 - You are fundamentally right. [removed]  I too have used Quicken for years (since 2004). Historically there has been a convenience to using quicken for tracking personal expenditures and paying bills. But frankly what they offer can basically be accomplished today through my online banking
    and investment services.

Simply put, if quicken pulls the plug on my Quicken 2017 licensed application and forces me to a subscription model, I will backup my files and never use Quicken again. This subscription model that Quicken is moving toward (like Windows 365) is a racket. I'm already paying banks and investment firms to 'manage' my money and provide online access, why in the world do I need to pay this third party an annual fee to do what's already being provided by these existing institutions? [removed - speculative/disruptive]
  • bviltenbvilten Member ✭✭
    @dbogey, That is what I am doing I paid one year for the "New" version and will use that time to backup and find a new product to use. Thank you all
  • dbogeydbogey Member ✭✭
    Can you believe this... I wrote my personal opinion of the subscription debacle @ 9:46 this morning. And just by 'happenstance', I received an email from Quicken at 2:02 this afternoon that said: "Notification: Quicken 2017 will stop connecting to financial institutions on April 30, 2020. Upgrade now to stay connected and take 30% off".

Coincidence? I say NOT. Especially since they removed my comment this morning after I posted it claiming it was "speculative/disruptive".

Special notice to Quicken: We entered a legal agreement that my Quicken 2017 application (that was purchased in the summer of 2017) would be supported for 3 years. If you do indeed pull the plug next week, you will be in violation of your support agreement. I would strongly suggest you read that agreement thoroughly.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You actually get about 3 1/2 years.  It is from the Release date not when you installed or bought it.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Quicken 2017, just as other Quicken products sold during the previous 10 years, was sold with a 3-year connected services contract which is coming to an end. 

The reason for the 3-year term is that there are very real ongoing costs associated with maintaining connectivity, purchasing data for connected services, operating cloud-based companion apps, security monitoring and management, and periodically revising the product itself to meet evolving security and connectivity changes with financial institutions. 

If we provide these services at no charge in perpetuity, we could not afford to run our business.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
This discussion has been closed.