Can my data in US Quicken 2017 be transferred to a new Canadian 2020 version?

Can my data in US Quicken 2017 version be transferred to a new Canadian 2020 version? Will this happen automatically on setup?

Answers

• Hello @Aberdeen

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. When you convert it will do the same converting process that would normally happen on the us version. The one thing that is different between the two versions is the banks supported.  Here is the full list of supported banks on the Canadian version. 

If you press CTRL + F on your keyboard you'll be able to search for your bank which makes it much easier to navigate.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the most part Quicken Windows Canadian can use a Quicken Windows US data file, but there are a few things to be aware of.

One the Canadian version can't change the home currency, so if you need to change it, you will need to do that in the US version.

Two, there is a data file that holds the "tax lines" and clearly these would be different between the two versions, but there isn't a different one (by file name) for the two.

So say the US version has "line 1" as: Schedule A:XXXX and the Canadian has "line 1" as Form B:XXXX and "line 1" is assigned to a category then when you change over it might be wrong.  Also even though you should be able to fix most of these in the category list, their are some "built-in" ones that you might not be able to fix.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. the tax file is:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\TAX.SCD

It can be edited with a text editor like Notepad, but I don't think you can actually change it and not "break" something.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Aberdeen
    Aberdeen Member
    Thanks for your help. I will think about whether to change versions.
This discussion has been closed.