Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Investment Improvements

This is my second year as a paying customer and I've not seen much improvements on investments. Would love to hear what the plans are for the investment section of Quicken? Would love to hear from Quicken developers here?

For me I had to create a program/script to take a CSV file do a quick manipulation and the script would enter my transactions into quicken, some days more than 100, because quicken does not allow for the following features...

1. Can not do a sort of any kind of downloaded transaction, specifically time of transaction when you can see in the time stamps on the OFX logs. You also do not allow an import of a CSV file. Either option hear would be good if you are only going to update one in the near future.

2. Can only see 4 transactions at a time, can not resize the download transaction window to easily find a transaction

Again would love to hear from the developers on my issues and or what's next for investment otherwise I would need to consider my next steps before paying for year 3.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concur that having the transaction time in the download window would be helpful as would the ability to resize, sort, and import CSV file would be good.  May need to have a pop out download window in order to do resizing but I'd be ok with that as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Personally I don't want the developers to post here.  I want the developers to instead develop the software.  Every hour you make them post here is another hour of development lost.  There are people with the job to communicate the customer requests to the proper people and get the jobs in the queue if they feel that it should be done.

I suggest if you want to have a bit "closer" feedback you become a beta tester.  That will at least get you talking to the QA people.

I also agree with Quicken Inc's policy not to do much "pre-announcing" of what features and such.  Even though customers claim they won't hold a company to such  statements, they almost always take any statement as a "promise".  And when the company can't deliver it for whatever reason they worse off in the customer's eyes than if they said nothing.

On #1 a CSV file simply is a Comma Separated Value file, which describes only that the data will have "columns" of data separated by commas.  It tells nothing about the format of that data.  And there is no standard for what investment data should look like.  There isn't even any standards for what the action type names should be.  One financial institution/person might use buy and another bought.  Some financial institutions don't even have an action column.  The task of converting a CSV file to investment transactions is far from trivial, and most people have no need for this.  As such I doubt that Quicken Inc is every going to put any time into this.  Instead you should be looking for a program that converts a CSV file to QIF, which Quicken Windows will import.

#2 You can already do this even though they didn't really put in the "right place".  Expand the Downloaded Transactions tab.  And then click and hold, and drag where I have indicated.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    #2 You can already do this even though they didn't really put in the "right place".  Expand the Downloaded Transactions tab.  And then click and hold, and drag where I have indicated.
    That only works in banking accounts. I see no way to expand the downloaded transactions area in investment accounts.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That only works in banking accounts. I see no way to expand the downloaded transactions area in investment accounts.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about this being about investment accounts.  Yet another feature that the bank accounts have that the investment accounts don't!
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/