Home Before you Buy

How about a basic stand alone version WITHOUT online banking

I've seen other posts regarding unhappy customers paying annually for a service that they may not need or use. I am one of those people. I love quicken but for me its pretty much a glorified check register. I keep track of my spending and upcoming bills but I do everything manually. I'm old, its always worked for me, so why fix it if it isn't broke? I have deluxe version 2017. I don't know why I wouldn't be able to use it the same way I've always used it. I'm guessing I could but there would probably be no further updates. Why doesn't quicken just offer a basic stand alone version and then charge a subscription fee for online services? If I can simply continue to use what I have, please tell me how to avoid the popups regarding upgrading.
Tagged:

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QW2017 isn't a subscription product.  So, after it "sunsets" on 4/30 it will become exactly what you're asking for ... with no product updates and no downloads of any sort provided.
    Also, support from Q itself will end ...  but not support from this forum.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    John Kuhn - I don't think there is a way to stop the upgrade popups but maybe someone else does.  Unless someone else does offer a solution to stop them you will likely need to continue dismissing them.  NOTE: If these popups are a big concern for you, then do not upgrade to subscription unless you want to lock yourself into renewing your subscription every 1-2 years. While you can continue to use subscription programs after the subscription expires with both read and write permissions (except for Starter which will be read only), the popups and renew banner will be a much worse experience than what it is in QW 2017.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R29.12 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have not tested this long term, but some have suggested the way to get Quicken not to log in and as such not pick up the ads, is to select Periodic_update_period to zero in:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\config\QUICKEN.INI

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They tried that with Quicken Checkbook 2012 & 2014.  They even gave it away for awhile, nobody evidently wanted it, so it went on the scrap heap.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.