"qw.exe-Ordinal Not Found" message dialog box comes up, program won't initialize.

msashton
msashton Member ✭✭
How do I Get Ordinal 1296 to show in the synamic link library for qw.exe?

Best Answer

• msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes all standards US/English. My research says ordinal has to do with number displays. Not directly incident to quicken.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows? US or Canadian version?
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using?  Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    What Region and Language settings are you using? English (US) or something else?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR. Windows 10. I updated my subscription and uninstalled the old version downloading the newest version. The Ordinal dialog continued to be a problem. No file issues on the old version on the old computer. The Ordinal problem occurred while trying to set up the new computer. Specific wording of the Ordinal warning "The ordinal 1296 could not be located in the dynamic link library c:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe." The old computer-I uninstalled and downloaded the newest version just the same way I tried on the new computer and it works fine on the old computer. Also Windows 10 Home.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can be found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    US version
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    I'm eligible. Talked 2x. They sent me here.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please capture an image of the error. Save the image file to your desktop, then drag & drop it to the message composition area of your next post.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    RJS

Attached.

Thanks
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @mashton, have you read the instructions in UKR's "Troubleshooting 101 ... " link.
    Have you uninstalled Q (using QCleanUI and NOT a Window's uninstall) and re-installed?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    I'll try it if I can find QCleanUI. Thanks
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    QcleanUI uninstall done. Reinstalled from subscription and same exact fault came up.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Web search suggests this might be a Windows corruption issue, not specific to Quicken.
    Try this:
    1. Create a Windows restore point just for safety
    2. Open a command window with elevated (Administrator) privileges
    3. At the command prompt, type dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    4. Wait for dism to finish
    5. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow
    6. Wait for sfc to finish
    7. Reboot your PC and try to run Quicken again

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    RJS-Tried DISM and SFC 2X to be sure. They ran as expected. With a restart, didn't clear the problem. Convinced it is a windows problem. Do you hav any ideas what to try next?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears a DLL is missing or corrupt. I would suggest using the mondo patch to try and correct.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    Tried it early on with Quicken tech support. Tried again just now with no change. Thanks for that idea.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a Mac running VM, right?
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    No Windows 10 home
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just a shot in the dark ...
    Is your computer set up like a typical US-American computer? I mean, Control Panel / Region is set to Location US, English(US), primary Language English and Date, Time and Number formats following US standards.
    International settings requiring different languages, alphabets and number formats may not work.

I wish someone could tell me what this "Ordinal 1296" stuff means, with respect to usage in Quicken.
  • msashton
    msashton Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes all standards US/English. My research says ordinal has to do with number displays. Not directly incident to quicken.
This discussion has been closed.