Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Just installed new HD and getting an error saying my file cannot be opened

I just upgraded the HD on my iMac and did a data migration and everything works fine except for my quicken file. When I go to open it, I get the following message:

The document "filename" could not be opened.

"filename" was last opened on Monday April 20, 2020 by Quicken 5.15.3 (Build 515.33035.100)

Choose Quicken > Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken. You are currently using version 5.15.3

(replace filename with my actual filename for my quicken file)

I have tried a restart of both Quicken and the computer. I have tried opening it from a different location on the hard drive. Neither working. Any suggestions?

Answers

• edwardgoodeedwardgoode Member
    One more update - I just tried opening it again and got this message:

The document "filename" may already be open on another computer.

The document was last opened ...

Opening a document on multiple computers at the same time will cause corruption and data loss. Before you open this document, verify that you have quit Quicken on the other computer and click the “Try Again” button.

Neither the open anyway or try again buttons work
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Do you use DropBox or any other Cloud based file syncing / storing?

2) An easy thing to try would be to get a fresh copy of your Quicken datafile from the old drive. Put it on your desktop. Then drag the file onto the Quicken application icon in the Dock or Finder.

Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried restoring your most recent backup file? It should haver the same information on it as the one you are trying to open.
  • edwardgoodeedwardgoode Member
    I keep my quicken file in an encrypted sparse bundle and was able to pull a copy of out one from my time machine backup and that seemed to work.