Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is there a solution to get the online balance to match the actual online balance?

Win 2020 r26.15. My US Bank savings account Online Balance is not reflective of today's actual online balance. When I search for that amount in the registry it appears to be a number from 12/22/2010.

The amount shown in QFX log BALAMT for that acct is the 12/22/2020 amount shown as the online balance, not the actual amount in the account online.

Is this a quicken problem or a US Bank problem? US Bank said it was a quicken problem...

Best Answer

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you typo both those dates? Neither is plausible.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How are you downloading from USB?  Are you using Express Web Connect, or Direct Connect?
    You can do TOOLS, Account List and look in the "Transactions Download" column for this info.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭
    sorry need to proof read more carefully "12/22/2010" Not "12/22/20"

I am using direct connect, does that make a difference?
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭
    The reconcile screen reads "Balance as of 12/10/2010: XXXXX"
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭
    Using express connect the balances match and are correct, the mismatch and the incorrect online balance number occurs with direct connect. I did contact them, I was told it was a quicken issue. I will contact them again to see if I can resolve the issue otherwise I will use express connect. Your response does help! I appreciate your follow up. mike
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Your bank/card/etc is SOLELY responsible for the content of a Direct Connect download.
    Your bank is simply lying, or ignorant, and in  either case is trying to shift the blame.
    We've seen this blame shifting MANY times when the bank has no idea what the real problem is.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Online Balance obtained by Quicken from the financial institution is unreliable, I suggest you use an account statement obtained from the financial institution when reconciling.
  • hmday
    hmday Member ✭✭✭
    yes this was corrected by US Bank!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what is worth some financial institution's do a very good job on keeping the online balance correct, others not so much.  And a typical situations when they are wrong is that they are "out of sync" for some period of "short period of time" or when there are pending transactions.

The "short period of time" is characterized like you check at 5PM and get new transactions, but the online balance hasn't been updated.  Then you check later in the night and it has been update.

The pending transactions problem is that they update the online balance including pending transactions, but don't send those transactions, which correct they aren't suppose to send pending transactions, but they are suppose to keep the online balance sent in sync.

So in fact US Bank may not have done anything to correct the situation.  Instead time and their normal procedures might have got the transactions and online balance back in sync.  Which means that you might see this again.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.