Home Before you Buy

Question about downgrading

I have Quicken Deluxe 2017. I have never needed the Deluxe features. My upgrades have cost me more every time because they upgrade to the Deluxe version. Now that this is becoming subscription, I don't want to pay for something I don't need. If I purchase the Starter version will I be able to open my current open or import my current qdata file. And will I be able to log into more than one website and download my accounts.

Best Answers

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    And starter doesn't do investments, so any investment account data you have in your current file will be gone.

Actually they won't be gone.  In the Quicken Window Starter Subscription, the investment accounts become read-only accounts.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • andrewbokelmanandrewbokelman Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Yes.  But if you don't renew Starter when it expires it becomes read only.

Oh, so starter is subscription too. Thanks
  • andrewbokelmanandrewbokelman Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > And starter doesn't do investments, so any investment account data you have in your current file will be gone.

What I have is savings, checking, credit card, and certificate of deposit. I assume those can all be done with basic. Is that correct?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Actually they won't be gone.  In the Quicken Window Starter Subscription, the investment accounts become read-only accounts.
    I'm not totally sure, but I think in QMac any investment accounts in the file when downgrading get hidden and are inaccessible. I vaguely remember hearing that if you upgrade again later, they accounts are still in the file and will show up again. Not really any way to test this short of downgrading.

That said, since the OP doesn't have any investment accounts it's a moot point for this discussion.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • radiofanradiofan Member
    It's my understanding that you can continue to use Quicken 2017, but you will no longer have the download features after April 30. If you're okay manually entering transactions then Quicken 2017 should continue to meet your needs.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I'm not totally sure, but I think in QMac any investment accounts in the file when downgrading get hidden and are inaccessible. I vaguely remember hearing that if you upgrade again later, they accounts are still in the file and will show up again. Not really any way to test this short of downgrading.

That said, since the OP doesn't have any investment accounts it's a moot point for this discussion.

Yes. That is a good point.  My answers are for Quicken Windows. Since it never been stated what operating system this question is for, the answer might be wrong for Quicken Mac.  But that is in fact why I stated "In Quicken Windows Starter".
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Yes. That is a good point.  My answers are for Quicken Windows. Since it never been stated what operating system this question is for, the answer might be wrong for Quicken Mac.  But that is in fact why I stated "In Quicken Windows Starter".
    Yup. I think we got 'em covered either way. Good on us. :smile:
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.