Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Adding Employee Stock Options for Private Company

When trying to add an Employee Stock Option, the Launch Wizard only allows you to proceed if there is a stock symbol which it can look up. Since this is a private company, there is no publicly quoted market price for the Wizard to locate. Any thoughts on how to get past this for a private company?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Grant Employee Stock Option wizard does allow us to proceed without a stock symbol.  
  • willido
    willido Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, thanks for the quick response. When I go thru the steps...
    1. In the Enter Transaction window, I select Grant Employee Stock Option
    2. I select the Launch Wizard
    3. I am only given two options, either select a stock I already track or a new stock which also requires that I enter the ticker symbol.
    4. As it is private, there is not ticker symbol and I am unable to get past this step.
    Any additional thoughts?
    Thanks in advance and sorry to be such a knucklehead.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    If you already own shares in this company, how are you tracking them?  You might need to Edit that security to create a fictitious symbol.
    If you don't already own shares, create the security with a fictitious symbol and use the "already track" option.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I added a fictitious security name and ticker for my employer's privately held stock and then used that in the Wizard and it set up my stock options grant just fine.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.