Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Vanguard Error in an existing 401k account

I've had this account for several years, just started getting an error in this account over the last month. I have three accounts at vanguard, the others download with no issues

Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your quicken data file OL-362-A
OL-362-B

Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• FrankxFrankx ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Memlar,

It sounds like things are out of control... hopefully you've got a good recent backup.  Quicken Support can be reached through this link :  https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Good luck!
    Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R26.23 - Build 27.1.26.23  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    Hi @jasonbrla,

This problem usually has to do with account information that is out of sync with the bank's servers.  Here's the guidance you should follow: https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362

Let us know how this works out for you.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R26.23 - Build 27.1.26.23  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    Vanguard shows OL-362-A, and even after disabling and reactivating service, continues to say: "Your financial institution has downloaded data for an account that does not exist in your Quicken data file [OL-362-A]". On the very same day, routine import of TIAA transactions gives a choice of "Create a New Account" or "Link to an Existing Account" with a drop-down. In other words, TIAA too lost account associations. I suspect (Occam's Razor) that the simultaneous loss of associations is due to a bug in subscription Quicken for Windows -- and not to slow servers under high traffic OR simultaneous failures by Vanguard and TIAA.
  • jasonbrlajasonbrla Member ✭✭
    That seemed to work, but it re-downloaded all of the transactions, so i have a ton of duplicates and the register is all hosed. I'd just start over, but then i loose all of my history. This also happened back in 2017 with this account. The software should allow me to download what is sent and create or link with existing securities. Hot Mess
    Hi again @jasonbrla,

Well I am glad that it worked, but also understand that there's more work to do.  

If I may suggest - there are a few things you can do to delete multiple transactions in a Quicken register.

Windows allows you to select multiple lines – or in this case transactions - by using the Ctrl Key and clicking or highlighting the transactions you want to delete. 

To select groups of transactions that are contiguous:

1)    Click on the first transaction in the register that you need to delete;

2)    Move down (or page down for many contiguous transactions) to the last transaction and while first holding down the Shift key – click on the last transaction;

3)    Then “right click” on one of the highlighted transactions in the group and select “Delete”

4)    Click “Yes” in the pop-up window.

To select groups of transactions that are not contiguous:

1)    Click on the first transaction in the register that you need to delete;

2)    Hold down the “ctrl” key and click on each transaction you want to delete;

3)    When you’ve clicked on the last transaction in the register that you want to delete, then “right click” on that transaction and select “Delete”

4)    Click “Yes” in the pop-up window.

Hopefully this will make your task a little easier.

Good luck!

Frankx

• woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    I received that same error today with a Vanguard account that had downloaded flawlessly for years -- but it has so far resisted the deactivate/activate cure. Today, on the same day, a TIAA account that had also downloaded flawlessly for years lost all account associations. Something changed, I don't know what, but I'm skeptical that Vanguard and TIAA started new errors on the same day.
  • woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    When https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362 does not work, is there a usual reason why it doesn't? (for example, not deactivating all accounts before reactivating the first one or something like that?)
  • n0dyjeffn0dyjeff Member ✭✭
    I've been experiencing this same OL-362-A with my Vanguard accounts since Saturday, 4/25. I use the Vanguard transaction download and then activate the file to import into Quicken. I have three Vanguard accounts. Only one is a 401(k), but it doesn't matter which of the three I attempt to include transactions for. They all show the same OL-362-A error. Up until Saturday, this had been working flawlessly for quite some time.
    Hi @n0dyjeff,

Did you try the fix noted above?  Here's the link https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362

Let us know how this works out for you.

Frankx

• woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    > Did you try the fix noted above? Here's the link
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-using-online-services-ol-362

> Let us know how this works out for you.

I have been trying this very fix, and variations on this fix, since my long-working Vanguard setup failed on 4/25. I continue to get OL-362-A. I have pretty much admitted defeat and am now just looking for the least disruptive way to get back to a working file.

(If there is a brute force way of yet saving my existing file, including a bunch of deleting of duplicate transactions, I would be happy to do that. But even starting with old backups, I cannot get a Vanguard download now without OL-362-A.)

I am ready now to start a new Quicken account for each of my Vanguard accounts, close the old ones and transfer the assets. But if I "Add Account" from the account list, it just goes through the same old setup and I'm back where I started. Should I start new accounts with the "enable manual entry" option and then add downloads after the fact?
    Deactivating the account, and creating a new account worked...i then moved all of the old transactions over to the new account....this is very strange that this issue occurred out of the blue...but now seems to be downloading properly
    edited April 29
    Hi again @jasonbrla,

Glad to hear that that suggestion worked out for you!

Take care & stay safe.

• woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    > @jasonbrla said:
    > Deactivating the account, and creating a new account worked...i then moved all of the old transactions over to the new account....this is very strange that this issue occurred out of the blue...but now seems to be downloading properly

Do you start that new account creation just by "Add account" in the account list? -- and then how do you move all of the old transactions to the new account (export-import of some fashion)? . . . I guess I'm just asking what the best practice is for the brute-force solution -- which seems as if it really should work. Thanks for any help on this.
    I deactivated online services for the account, then re-activated online services and didn't allow quicken to link it to the existing account ( i renamed it) Then when it created the new account anything that wasn't downloaded by Vanguard I moved from the old account to the new account with the move function.
  • woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    Thanks, that's helpful.
  • MemlarMemlar Member
    I did all the above and it is kinda working. The issue I'm having is the web connect works, but if I download file from Vanguard directly and try I get the OL-362A error. Reason I'm also downloading is over the years there have been issues with direct connect that occasionally misses transactions between One-step updates. My guess is there must be a limit to the number of days it looks back between updates for Vanguard as I don't have this issue with Fidelity or other accounts between updates. None the less, I backed up the file, repaired and verified, deactivated service, restarted and reactivated... When I did this the webconnect worked, but it created a bunch of placeholder entries for everything I own in the account. This even though all the history was in the register already.... I cannot create a new account and migrate over 15 years worth of transactions as a solution.. That would be hours of work and risky at best.... I'm out of ideas.... Not able to locate how to contact support. Any ideas on a phone number or something to contact Quicken directly?
    edited May 1 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Memlar,

It sounds like things are out of control... hopefully you've got a good recent backup.  Quicken Support can be reached through this link :  https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Good luck!
    Frankx

• MeemaMeema Member ✭✭
    Why the error OL-362_A when trying to download from Vanguard?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Chris CarpenterChris Carpenter Member ✭✭
    Happening for me, as well. The solution in the linked article does not work. It's quite odd - if I download from Vanguard as a *.csv, I can see the account number is correct (and matches the account in Quicken). So I'm curious where Quicken is seeing a mismatch.

I'm using the most recent Quicken for Windows subscription version, and I seem to recall there was an update to R26.17 between April 17 (when the download last worked) and May 1 (when I first experienced the error).
  • woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    I have been working on this error since April 25, encountering the same thing as my fellow Quicken users on this thread. I have now spent two and a half hours in three sessions with Quicken Premium Support, with no resolution. A brand-new test file with only my TIAA and Vanguard accounts -- you guessed it -- returns an OL-362-A error when using Web Connect. Meanwhile, Direct Connect works fine with that brand-new test file, but not at all with my existing file. In fact, even adding the Vanguard accounts anew *they do not even show up; no Vanguard accounts at all in the Direct Connect summary*. We have validated and super-validated the file, made corrections, tried file copy. Still nothing works.

Possible workaround: Run two Quicken files, one with my investments only (starting with that new test file) and one with everything else from savings and checking to the cars. But it kind of defeats the purpose of having Quicken, doesn't it?

Other possible workaround: Do the two-file solution, but instead of keeping the investment file in Quicken, just keep my Vanguard accounts updated through TIAA's 360 service.

Quicken Premium Support admitted defeat today, just suggesting I go back to a known good backup. I have -- from March, before all this happened -- and the good March backup file that worked perfectly in March today generates error OL-362-A.
  • Chris CarpenterChris Carpenter Member ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I completely disabled online services for Vanguard (across all my Vanguard accounts, not just throwing errors). Then, the manual import began to work.
  • Chuck77Chuck77 Member ✭✭
    After 30 minutes with support and failed solutions, I tried the deactivate online and then manual download from site. That did work. I'm hoping they correct this issue and that this is not the only way to receive transactions.
  • tsumiectsumiec Member
    Hello. I am having issues downloading transactions from my investment account since the recent update. The balance is completely wrong and indicates placeholders need to be corrected. I have the placeholder option unchecked for all accounts, yet I still get this message. I have tried resolving the placeholders, veiwing hiddent transactions, deleting the placeholders, validating the file, etc. to no avail. The only way I can get rid of the placeholders and get a correct balance is be restoring a backup file and downloading. Yet - the next download the placeholders reappear and the balance is way higher than the actual. Please help - all previous recommendations I have read on the community site do not seem to solve this issue (which didn't exist until the last Quicken update).
  • tsumiectsumiec Member
    This also appears to be related to the OL-362-A issue with Vanguard transactions that others are experiencing. Quicken needs to figure out what they are doing and come up with solutions for the placeholder and Vanguard account download issues quick. If not, might not be renewing my subscription in 30 days when it expires.
  • sobiesobie Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact same issue with Vanguard as described. Googling it appears others have been having similar issues as well. Quicken are you looking into a fix for this issue?
  • sobiesobie Member ✭✭
    Same issue for me as well. Just started to happen at the end of April after working with our work for many years. I have tried the deactivate fixes suggested for this role with no success. Quicken can you issue a fix for this to work again?
  • DAFDAF Member ✭✭
    Having the same problems with Vanguard; unfortunately manual download does not work either, it does not download latest transactions and investment balances are substantially higher than they should be after the manual download. Any idea if this will get resolved soon? This started happening in late April, I thought I was the only one.
  • woodwcwoodwc Member ✭✭
    Just an update: I have sort of given up on getting Quicken to correctly import transactions from TIAA and Vanguard, though I will check back after Q updates from time to time to see if the bug is fixed.

Meanwhile, I have gone with a two-file solution that may actually be better. In this solution I have one main Quicken file that handles most everything and a separate Quicken file for investments. I am also trying TIAA's solution that brings in my Vanguard balances. If I can't get this thing fixed, I'll go forward with only the one Quicken file that handles most of my finances *and let the TIAA thing track my investments*. I'll enter the investment totals only from time to time in that one Quicken file just as a cash balance update. That will make my Quicken asset allocation useless -- but TIAA is way better at that than Quicken, because it knows how to handle TIAA Traditional (a quasi-bond equivalent).

Biggest change, if Quicken doesn't get fixed, is that I'll no longer try to import and track securities and transactions, just using TIAA and Vanguard web interfaces. This would be a big deal if I were trying to do some fancy cost basis work (I'm not). Actually this would be a big time saver.

Quicken Premier Support was always very helpful; screen sharing worked well; but their only solution was to deactivate and reactivate download and that did not work with this problem.
  • tsumiectsumiec Member
    Followed all instructions and all suggested fixes. Still no luck. Will Quicken respond to the community on this issue?
  • strebkrstrebkr Member
    TEMPORARY Solution Found!!!

Disconnect account from Vanguard
    Go back to Quicken
    Import the file - It will ask if you want to link the account (DON'T) or create a new one.
    Select create a new account

The goal here is not to actually create the new account, but to trick Quicken into pulling the transactions in.

From here you can copy your transactions (a few per pay period plus a few others for dividends or fees)

Paste these lines into your original account.

When you are done, delete the new account.

This is not meant to be a permanent solution, but rather a stop gap for people like me who have a decade plus of data and can't just "restart" the account. I don't mind doing it manually like this because I have about 6 lines a month that need downloaded. I'd rather have this than the OL-362-A & OL-362-B Errors.

Hopefully Quicken will figure it out because I'm sick of having to duct tape this program back together. If there was any other game in town I would have left a long time ago. Maybe that's why they don't need to invest much because they already have their hooks in people like me. I don't mind paying for the app. I get great value out of it (when it works)