Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Placeholder transaction popup froze Quicken

I downloaded a Quicken Mobile update on my Android phone. Before it would work again I had to re-link it with my Quicken Deluxe computer program (Windows 10). In Quicken Deluxe I went to "Mobile & Web" to update my Quicken Mobile settings. During the syncing process a popup window appeared stating "you cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a placeholder transaction." Clicking to OK button or the "X" to close this popup did nothing. I eventually had to force Quicken to close using task manager.

I chose to link only my checking, banking, and cash accounts to use in Quicken Mobile, not my mutual fund account. Anyone know why this happened?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @skiman1818

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review the information available here regarding placeholder entries and see if there is a placeholder in the account that could be causing the error message.

If you do locate a placeholder, please take a moment to review the information available here.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • skiman1818
    skiman1818 Member ✭✭
    I've spent the better part of an hour researching and correcting placeholder entries in my mutual fund accounts, some more than 10 years old. I have finally fixed all of them in my 5 mutual fund accounts and confirmed they are all showing zero placeholder entries. Despite this, every time I attempt a One-Step Update I continue to get a "You cannot transfer into your mutual fund account prior to a Placeholder Transaction" popup window. This window will not go away and causes me to have to use task manager in Windows to close the program (Windows 10). I've tried to "Validate & Repair" my file by checking "validate file" and "rebuild investment lot." The problem with the placeholder popup still occurs.

This is very frustrating.
  • skiman1818
    skiman1818 Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

Initially I tried a different approach I found elsewhere on the community site. It solved the popup problem but would not correctly reflect the current balances in my mutual fund accounts after completing a one-step update. I reinstalled a backup copy of my file and, so far, no popups have appeared after a one-step update and the fund balances have all updated correctly. Keeping my fingers crossed this has solved the problem.
  • skiman1818
    skiman1818 Member ✭✭
    Annnnd with this latest Quicken update, version R26.21, version 27.1.26.21, the placeholder popup is back when I do a One Step Update. My mutual fund accounts are all showing zero placeholder entries. At least this time it's not freezing the program but I do have to click on the window about a dozen times before it disappears and allows One Step Update to finish.
This discussion has been closed.