Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I move a Quicken account from one computer and add it to a Quciken account on another compute

A friend of mine recently passed away, leaving his personal Quicken account on his computer. His wife also has a separate personal Quicken account on her computer. She would like to get both accounts on her computer. What would be the most practical way to do that?
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    ps...just to be clear you are talking about the data files, right?  Not just one account in the file.  What version of Quicken?  Are they both the same version?  You just move the data file ending in .qdf to her computer.  But if it is a newer version of Quicken you might have to associate his file under her user account.  I don't know how that part works.

Does she want to combine his accounts into her file?  Or can she keep it separate and have 2 data files?
  • Ron6962
    Ron6962 Member
    Thank you so much for the reply. I'm not a Quicken user, just trying to help a friend. Yes, I do mean all the data files, not just one account in the files. She wants to be able to access his Quicken files on her computer separate from her files. They both have the same version...Quicken Premiere on Windows 10 computers. I "think" I should be able to "export" his files to a flash drive, then create a new Quicken file on her computer named for him, and "import" his files...will that work? I just don't want to get into it and mess anything up for her. Thanks.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Or, are you describing a situation where they each bought separate copies of Quicken?

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ron6962
    Ron6962 Member
    Since they have Quicken Premiere running on two different computers, I am assuming they purchased two separate copies. At any rate, she only needs one copy now, and she wants to get her late husband's files on her computer, so she can wipe his computer clean and dispose of it. Do you think the "export" and "import" functions I described above will do that?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to check if both Quicken data files are tied to the same Quicken ID. From Quicken --> Help --> About Quicken.

To move the data file, use Backup and Restore.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ron6962
    Ron6962 Member
    Thanks, Greg. If they are tied to the same Quicken ID, and I do a Backup on his computer and a Restore on her computer, will it overwrite what is on her computer? And if so, how do I get around that? She does not want to lose her data. I will check out the ID next time I am there, but I suspect they have two separate IDs. If that is the case, is there an another way to get both on the same computer? Thanks for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you restore his file, you can give it a unique name. After restoring, you can sign-out of his Quicken ID and into hers.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Ron6962
    Before you do anything on her computer, make a Quicken Backup to a thumbdrive or some other removable media just in case someone pushes the wrong button during the restore (& rename if necessary) of his file on her computer and overwrites her data file.
    WITHOUT A BACKUP, THERE IS NO UNDOING OF THIS MISTAKE.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Ron6962
    Ron6962 Member
    Greg and Splasher...thanks for the advice...definitely agree with a Quicken BACKUP on her computer. So, just to make sure I understand....the preferred way to accomplish what is needed is to do a Backup of his Quicken files, then a Restore on her computer, using a unique name. This is a better way than a "Export" and "Import" process? Just want to make sure I understand. Sorry for being a bit dense on how Quicken works.
  • Ron6962
    Ron6962 Member
    OK, I will go with the Backup and Restore process. Thank you both (Splasher and Greg) for helping me with this.