Account Bar balance is different from register balance

Started having this problem a few days ago. My account bar checking balance is $200.00 less than what is shown in my register. BOTH are "ending" balances with no outstanding charges. Future payments are accounted for, and irrelevant because both are supposed to be ending balances, along with upcoming payments and bills. I have tried restoring backups, validating my quicken file, and have scoured individual transactions but can't find the disparity. In fact, even when trying to revert to a known good backup, the "bug" now follows and I get the same $200.00 disparity! The current, online, and ending balances in the account register are correct, however the account bar shows an even $200 less that what is in the account! Please help as this is driving my OCD crazy!

Comments

• Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    Quicken version R26-15, build 27.1.26.15
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you may have the register set to show reminders.  If you don't want to include reminders in the register, I suggest you open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Reminders to show in register, and choose Don't show reminders.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I suspect you may have the register set to show reminders.  If you don't want to include reminders in the register, I suggest you open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, select Reminders to show in register, and choose Don't show reminders.

The ending balance in the account bar includes the reminders if you have them shown in your register.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    I do not currently, nor have ever had reminders setin the register. The setting Sherlock recommends above remains set as he advised. Additionally, I have NO upcoming bills or reminders that would account for the disparity between balances.
  • Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    OK, the account was reconciled (balanced) on 15 April and both balances were correct and matched until 2 days ago. NOW, after a meticulous reconciliation of every transaction between my register and bank since April 15, I am finding that the balance in the account bar IS correct, yet the register balance is still $200.00 off! Cannot find where the phantom $200 came from, but even an attempt to add it back to the register STILL results in a $200 difference between the Account Bar balance and the register balance! I have NO reminders set to show, and NO savings goals (as was seen in a similar community post). Somehow my register balance shows $200 more than it should, whilst the Account Bar balance is correct, and there have been no rouge transactions since the last reconciliation (every transaction is accounted for since April 15). GRRRRRR!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Well it could be several entries that net out to $200.  You don't have any future dated entries?  

One thing I would do is sort by Order Entered, which is handy when doing a lot of entries.  That might help you find it.  Maybe you entered something with the wrong date like a very old year so it got listed in a different spot.

While in a register, click on "Account Actions", select "Sorting Options", select "by order entered" should get you what you are looking for. Or for earlier versions click Options at the top of the register on the right side. If you sort by anything other than the Date column you might not get a true running balance.  So after you sort and look around be sure to sort it back by the Date.

To sort in Quicken 2013 or newer for Windows click on the little gear icon in the upper right of the register's header area. One of the options is Sorting Options and you can choose By Order Entered.

• Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    volvogirl, yes, I sorted everything 15 different ways to try and find the disparity, and even went back thru 18 months (whew!) of transactions & couldn't find it. All the reconciled transactions are correct & after accounting for uncleared transactions, the phantom $200 is still showing up in the register. For some reason beginning 2 days ago, my register ending balance shows exactly $200 more than my Account bar ending balance, and that difference remains constant whether or not I try to add the adjustment back to the account register...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bongo56 , have you tried the usual troubleshooting steps, like Copy & Validate? If not, see this page for the instructions.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel, Yes I have but unfortunately I cannot get the issue to go away...
  • Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    OK, after SEVERAL hours, I FINALLY corrected the issue. File copying and several validation/fix actions could not resolve this. It shouldn't have had to be this difficult, but what I did was create a dummy account, and tediously copied all of my transactions (close to 7000 of them!). to the new account register, deleted them from the existing register, and then moved them all back! Once the account was zeroed out, when I moved everything back the $200 glitch went away. You would think there would be an easier way to reconcile the two different balances, but I guess not. Anyway, let's hope I don't have to do this again. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
  • James104
    James104 Member ✭✭
    Did you ever use Savings Goals? My savings goal accounts have no transactions, but my balances change when I right click the Account Bar pane and select/deselect Show Savings Goals.
    How did you copy back and forth? One at time would take forever.
  • Bongo56
    Bongo56 Member ✭✭
    Nope, never used savings goals, & don't even have that option anywhere in the program (maybe it was an earlier version?). BTW, you can select multiple transactions by clicking one, then holding down the shift key to select a range of additional transactions. Then you right click the selected transactions & can either move, cut or copy them. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.