Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Why are Category Names converting to number sequences after updating accounts on line?

Hi. I've upgraded from 2017 Deluxe for Mac to 2020 Deluxe for Mac. All went well until I updated all accounts on line. After the updating on line, it converts the main Category headings to number sequences, 30 numbers long. They look like banking numbers. I've tried restoring files. Reinstalling the program. Importing and exporting quicken files, But the problem persists.
Any ideas or procedures to perform. I've been using Quicken almost 30 years. but this issue will send me away if I can't resolve. Lastly, I called banks and they said it was a Quicken issue.

Comments

• dig22dig22 Member
    I should mention, I had two chats with Quicken yesterday and they couldn't help. I spoke with someone at Quicken this morning and they couldn't help.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    This is unfortunately a bug that hits some number of users, and perhaps more unfortunately, doesn't seem to get escalated to the developers to fix. I do not know if they have it in their bug tracking database.

I'd point you to other threads reporting the same problems, including…

(I know I've read others; those are just the ones I located quickly.) It seems there's some issue with people who use Quicken mobile that causes categories to get blown out to these long strings of numbers. 

@Quicken_Tyka  You've responded in a couple of those threads, and basically just told people to go to backups. Has this issue ever been reported to the developers? I recognize that it's a sporadic problem and harder to direct because it goes across the Quicken Mac and Quicken Mobile teams. It keeps coming up and seems seems like it gets brushed off here, and people who report calling Quicken Support about it say there is no knowledge of the issue and they are told their database is corrupt and they need to start over (or go to a backup). Is there a way to escalate this issue so this doesn't keep happening to people? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @dig22

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

I have sent you a direct message requesting some more information to investigate this issue further.

Please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • One you save the entry the long string of numbers goes away and only the category name appears.
    I saw someone else had this problem but the answer/solution was not posted but sent via private message
  • Deluxe Quicken for Mac 2020, version 5.17.1 Build 517.34835.100
  • JHNJHN Member ✭✭
    The problem still exists under 5.17.2 (which, in other ways, I really like, by the way): clicking the button for Update All Online Accounts converts the Category names into numbers.

For example, Travel for me has become 6C072ED6-0CCD-4752-ACF3-DC214CAA0E93

The only solution that I have found is to not click that button ...
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @JHN

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

I have sent you a direct message requesting some more information to investigate this issue further.

Please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.