Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Manage Accounts and Transactions (Windows)

Merging several entry lines in account (same payee, but categories get merged into one)

Many times we have entries to the same payee, but split line has many categories - in order to merge this and eliminate the multiple entries into one, one has to manually calculate all the data and enter a new line (and delete the older ones). Please assist with this calculation - it will be a wonder, and will make the database calculations much faster. Thanks.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28
    This already exists. Just double click the split transaction and click the Clear All Splits button.

EDIT: My answer is for Mac. I don't know about Windows.

Are you using Quicken Mac or Windows?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you, by any chance, recording all your monthly credit card transactions in one single transaction with multiple splits, in your checking account?
    If so, you should really be creating and using a credit card account register to record each credit card purchase individually. It's much easier to do. And you might be able to download transactions from the card company, to help with data entry.
    It would be helpful if you showed us one of those transactions with all its splits so that we can see what you are seeing.
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

• busarch3busarch3 Member ✭✭
    I am using Windows version. My request is ability to merge multiple line entries in a register with different categories into a single line item. This capability does not exist that I know of. It is request for new capability.
    edited May 4
    Just to clarify: 

1. Your request is for a new feature in the Windows version, right?

2. You want to be able to merge several separate transactions into a single transaction so that the resulting transaction is a split with each split line representing the category/tag/memo/amount from each of the original transactions?

Yes. If I had two transactions one with 5 split lines, and the second with say another 10 split lines (but 5 of these categories were common with the first one), then it should merge them automatically into 1 transaction with 10 lines, and so on, depending on the actual data.
    Got it. What would it do if the categories were the same across the two transactions, but the memos were different? What if there were multiple instances of some categories in each transaction? What about tags?
    It needs to merge the categories and tags minimally, and can also merge the memos by making it one sentence after the other. So, if it is the same category and different tag, it will end up as separate lines in the merged result. In the terminal value, if 2 transactions of 5 and 10 split lines were merged, you should get somewhere between 10-15 lines, unless, even within the split lines the same lines were found. So, I can looking for what is called the merged minimal entries. Of course, the merging is to get the total right. This approach will dramatically reduce the size of my file if I could do it. Thanks.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the use case for this feature? When and why would you use it?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    Use case - to compress large number of entries into fewer more meaningful entries and dates, and speed up Quicken significantly. Many times we have similar transactions on multiple dates - over time, we don't need the granularity compared when it recently entered. This compression can significantly reduce file size and speed up quicken. As an example, you may have coffee, groceries, gasoline and other misc items in a single line - but done every day or 2 over the years - these could easily be compressed into one entry per week or per month in past years. Over 30 years, the system doesn't need to add the coffee entry 30x365, but could be something small if compressed to per month - with addition occurring 30 times fewer.