Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Paying bills in advance with Bill Manager seems impossible

I have been a quicken user since 1999 and have been using Bill Pay since the beginning (Quicken 2017 is what I had been most recently using). With Bill Pay, I was able to enter a bill to pay, split the categories, date the transaction for future payment (due date of the biller) and choose send. During "update", the bills to be paid were listed as well as all of the credit cards. When completed, the update would change the "send" indication to a lightning bolt and all of the recent CC charges would download. I recently upgraded to Quicken 2020 and Bill Manager and I couldn't do the same (pay a bill in advance). It appears that Bill Manager will not allow me to do this. I have made several calls to Quicken and have been told that the new Bill Manager will not allow me to pay a bill in advance. It tags the payment with the current date and there is no way to change it. PLEASE tell me that this capability has not been removed. When I received a statement, it was very convenient to enter the transaction and have it paid on a future date and forget it. Now I have beentold that I have to go back to Qiicken on the date that the bill is due and enter then and only then....... PLEASE TELL THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Customer Support told you correctly.  It this time, you can not schedule a payment in the future.  It is evidently Quicken's intention to be able to schedule future payments as a future enhancement, but it is not possible at this time and there is no ETA on it.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We presently may not schedule Quick Pay and Check Pay payments.  Quicken intends to provide the functionality by the end of the summer: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay

We are still able to schedule online payments to online payees at over 500 financial institutions that support online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method.
  • Paul T. Zurka
    Paul T. Zurka Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, please explain the "online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method" (or show me where to find the info). This is becoming very inconvenient, especially since we are paying $9.95/month for this service.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, please explain the "online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method" (or show me where to find the info). This is becoming very inconvenient, especially since we are paying $9.95/month for this service.
    To issue payments to online payees, you need to set up the online bill payment service for the payment account.  More than 500 financial institutions support the using the Direct Connect connection method to send payment requests to their Bill Pay service.  The method for issuing payments is the same method you have used previously and is documented in Quicken and on the support web site.  For example: https://www.quicken.com/support/about-online-payees-and-payments-quicken

If a financial institution supports the Direct Connect connection method with the online bill payment service, you should be able to set up the online bill payment service in Quicken.  There may be a monthly charge from the financial institution to use the service and you may need to enable access to the service before you're able to use it from within Quicken.

To setup the bill payment service in Quicken: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, Set up Now... in the Online bill payment region and the financial institution's service - not Quicken Bill Pay.

The list of financial institutions providing online payment services from within Quicken 2020 is attached.  You may glean the same from the fidir.txt file Quicken maintains within the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken folder.
This discussion has been closed.