Will Two Factor Authentication be provided soon?

bxpkNFm0403Zwtl4vV1H
bxpkNFm0403Zwtl4vV1H Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Ideas for Quicken on The Web
I have been a Quicken user for 15+ years. I decided to take a look at the web version and was amazed that there was no 2FA to login. After several calls with Quicken support, verifying my concerns - that yes, if my login/password are compromised, then the hacker can view what I have sync'd to the web, through my last sync.

The support person agreed that is a security flaw and needs to be addressed. He agreed to submit the issue and asked that I do so in the community here. This leads me to have an additional concern about the overall security stance from Quicken on how it is handling web security for their customers. How do you communicate to users your best practices to ensure that customers data and privacy are secured.
19 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 8/10/23 - CTP-7460 Declined 8/20/23- Quicken users other methods of verifying user identity that are less intrusive than MFA, and we use that in this instance.

Comments

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Yes, Quicken does work with MFA (also known as 2FA), please see this article: https://www.quicken.com/support/secure-login-mfa-information

More information about how Quicken protects your privacy: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-protects-financial-information
    Our Privacy Policy is here: https://www.quicken.com/privacy
    And on the Mobile App: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mobile-app-privacy-and-security
    If you are concerned about the CCPA: https://www.quicken.com/support/california-consumer-privacy-act-ccpa-frequently-asked-questions
    A search with the term "privacy" brings up 21 separate results discussing different aspects of how Quicken Inc. works to protect and secure your data. https://www.quicken.com/support/search/privacy
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Hugh This idea/suggestion isn't about Quicken downloading transactions for accounts that have 2FA enabled.  It is about the fact that there isn't any choice to use 2FA when logging into the Quicken Web site.  BTW this goes for Quicken Mobile too.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW , I understand the original question, and I am not disagreeing with the original post, but I wanted to provide a broader answer too. 
  • @Quicken_Hugh I know that if I log into my account, that 2FA is required. But per Chris_QPW's follow up question and my initial inquiry -
    - Is there any plan and timeline to provide 2FA to access the Quicken Web site and Quicken Mobile? If not, what is the reason that it is not believed that level of security is required?
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @bxpkNFm0403Zwtl4vV1H
    Please be aware, it is exceedingly rare that Quicken will announce any feature/function/enhancement, or timeline-to-xyz-function-release-date before deployment.
    We do, absolutely, pay attention to customer feedback and product enhancement requests, and votes for Product Ideas. We also have our internal product development road map.

Rest assured, we do take security extremely seriously.
    What I can say is, 'keep an eye out for updates' to Quicken on the web and the Quicken App.
  • kurtlook
    kurtlook Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I thought I'd try "Quicken on the Web". My mac desktop is fine but I wanted to try the web version. It lets me log in w/o two factor authentication. What am I doing wrong? Surely a financial site won't let you log in w/o this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Web doesn't have that feature.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kurtlook

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize for the confusion. Quicken is a financial managing software and when you log into the web version there is no need for two-factor authentication. You can simply log into Quicken.com with your Quicken ID and password. 

Hope this provides your with clarity. Please let us know if you have any question or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Paloma said:  ... when you log into the web version there is no need for two-factor authentication.
    I think their question is - There IS a need, and WHY is it not implemented with Quicken on the Web ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also question the "no need" statement.  While I don't use MFA, there are MANY who do.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• kurtlook
    kurtlook Member ✭✭
    The commenters understood my question completely. In 2021, it is malpractice not to support two factor authentication on a financial web site.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    BTW for the record I believe that the risk is even greater than it appears at first glance.

Quicken went to "Single account sign on".

As in you use the same Quicken Id/password to sign on to all of these:
    1. Quicken data file.  (and its connection to the Quicken cloud data set, which is on the Quicken servers).
    2. Quicken account (website).
    3. The online portfolio.
    4. Quicken Web.
    5. Quicken Mobile.
    6. This Quicken forum.  (personally I use a different Quicken Id here to avoid mixing my finances with a public forum).
    Signature:
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    Hello All,

For clarification in regards to @Quicken Paloma 's "no need" statement; what she is referring to is that 2-factor authentication is not currently a requirement in order to sign in on Quicken on the Web. However, it was not her intent to indicate that it will never be needed. Therefore, we apologize for any confusion the phrasing of her statement may have caused.

I did also double-check to see if there is a current Idea post available for this topic and found that there currently is not. That said, I also went ahead and changed this post to an Idea post so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on this idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta

I would appreciate 2-Factor authentication for Quicken on the Web and signing into the Quicken Mobile App.

• I would appreciate 2-Factor authentication for Quicken on the Web. I cannot comprehend why this wasn't implemented years ago.
  • jschleg
    jschleg Member

Any update. It's 2023 and we still don't have MFA available for the quicken web app. This is borderline negligent at this point given the data stored in the quicken app is highly sensitive and MFA is almost default for a web app in 2023.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious why I often get a MFA request when I log into my Quicken.com account yet there is no MFA for other Quicken sites?

I just voted for it but I would want to see MFA as an optional feature, not mandatory.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Sagar
    Sagar Member

I would use quicken cloud only if 2FA using a security key such as Yubikey and an additional backup authenticator app are allowed as 2fa.

• Lakegal
    Lakegal Member ✭✭
    I would like at least to have the option of using an authenticator app rather than SMS/text.
  • Quicken Anja

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• I would like to add my voice to those requesting the option of Two-Factor Authentication for accessing Quicken on the web or on a mobile app. I am a long-time user of Quicken on my PC. I had never used the Quicken web app until a few days ago. After gaining access, I went to the settings to set up 2FA and was shocked to find that the option was not available in a program where the user is entering financial information. This makes me really nervous.

Even if I decide to refrain from using the web app, if someone else were to get access to my password, they could get into the Quicken app and I would never know about it.

Thank you.

• ddashorn
    ddashorn Member ✭✭

I also would like to use2-factor authentication to login to Quicken. I have been a Quicken user for many years, but I am becoming increasingly concerned that Quicken does not offer 2-factor authentication for the initial login to Quicken itself. If it does not do so by the end of the year, I plan to abandon Quicken and move to a different financial software package (assuming I can find one that offers 2-factor authentication - I have not looked yet). It absolutely baffles me that a financial software package would not offer 2-factor authentication in this day and age.

This discussion has been closed.