Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Manage Accounts and Transactions (Windows)

Register Reminders showing incorrect amount for a paycheck

I have a paycheck that deposits to two different accounts, a checking account, and a savings account. In the savings account (set as primary account on the paycheck) the full amount of the deposit is showing when I use the look-ahead reminders. The deposit to the checking account shows properly.

I tried creating a new paycheck thinking that something might be corrupted on the initial one and got the same result.

What is even more strange is when using the Project Balances it uses the proper amount of the deposit, so I can't create a shadow reversal or something to make the register work without breaking the Project Balances. I use both of these regularly so I need some sort of solution here. Any thoughts? Is this a bug Quicken is working on?

Thanks,
Doug
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @milonedp

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I am having trouble understand exactly what you are seeing, I apologize.

First, please take a moment to navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release you are running?

May I also ask that you capture a screenshot of the issue that you are seeing? To capture a screenshot, I would recommend using the Snipping Tool.

Once you have the screenshot, please drag the image into the comment box to upload the image.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the OP is saying that ONLY the primary account shows a balance change for a reminder.  The amount in the savings account isn't included until the reminder actually becomes a saved transaction.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • milonedpmilonedp Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate that. Sorry I didn't do a great job explaining. I can't do a screenshot without sharing very personal information. I'll try to explain with $s to see if I can better clarify.

I'm using R26.17.
    In the register, there is functionality to view future transactions.
    In my paycheck, I have the primary account set to "Savings" with the deposit split to both a checking account $250 and the savings account $750 with a net paycheck of $1,000
    If I go to my savings account and use the future transactions it shows $1,000 (not the $750 aligned to that account)
    If I go to my checking account and use the future transactions it shows $250 (the correct amount).
    When I look at the impact of the paycheck in the Future Balances view it shows correctly as $750 savings and $250 checking.

The issue is the register of the primary account is showing the full net paycheck amount, not the amount designated for the deposit to that account.

Thanks
    And my prior explanation still holds.  Q will ONLY show the ENTIRE transaction (that's still a reminder) UNTIL the reminder actually becomes a saved transaction.
    > @NotACPA said:
    > I think that the OP is saying that ONLY the primary account shows a balance change for a reminder.  The amount in the savings account isn't included until the reminder actually becomes a saved transaction.

Not quite, both registers shows a balance change, but the primary account balance change shows as the full paycheck, not the amount designated to that account.

Paycheck =
    $250 Checking
    $750 Savings (Primary Account)
    $1,000 Total Paycheck

Checking register shows $250
    Savings register shows $1,000 (not $750)

Future Balances Report properly show Checking at $250 and Savings at $750.
    > @NotACPA said:
    > I think that the OP is saying that ONLY the primary account shows a balance change for a reminder.  The amount in the savings account isn't included until the reminder actually becomes a saved transaction.

I do appreciate you trying to help though, thank you!
    > @NotACPA said:
    > And my prior explanation still holds.  Q will ONLY show the ENTIRE transaction (that's still a reminder) UNTIL the reminder actually becomes a saved transaction.

Yes upon entry the deposit corrects itself to Checking $250 and Savings $750. The issue appears to be only in the reminders inside the register, which I use all the time, that has to be a bug, right?
    For what it's worth I was able to create a new file and the exact thing happened again, so here it is in screen shots.
    edited April 30
    This isn't a bug.  Reminders are working EXACTLY as intended.
    What you're asking for is a new function ... and I suggest that you start an IDEA thread to see what support there is for this.
    [EDIT] Actually, I just turned this into an IDEA for you [/EDIT]
    How is that possible, there is no way that putting bad information in the register for forecasting cash flow is somehow acceptable?

Worse is because the projected balances report handles it properly I can't create a workaround but putting in some sort of reversing entry.

Thank you for turning this into an idea and I've been around enough software development to understand that statement around it working as designed. The design has to be considered wrong though. It's an incorrect cash flow forecast inside a forecasting tool.

I'm struggling to imagine any scenario where someone would want this.
    Actually just figured out a workaround by creating a dummy account setting that as primary then put in the balance of the paycheck to the account I want it gives me the right forecasting.

I appreciate all the help. Still can't figure out a reason this would be designed this way it devalues the register forecasting function.
    MY question would be ... If this is so important, why not simply record the transaction???
    Then I'm locked into how far out I record transactions, I regularly flip between no future transactions to 30 days, 90 days, and 12 months depending on how I'm working the cashflow in that account so that I can maximize investments.

In addition to locking me in it'd mess up how I view my HSA, 401k, reporting for healthcare expenses, and all other deductibles.
    How does an idea thread work, is there a way to get some traction? I still think this is a bug as even my workaround isn't working. Once I close the file the deposit no longer shows in the various accounts, if I switch the primary account then it works again until I close the file. There is something more fundamentally wrong with how the Paycheck Wizard and deposits / transfers are working (we already know there is an issue with the 401k transfers and how they zero out when using online mobile sync.)