Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QWin 26.17 Corrupted my Data File

My problem started when I updated to the latest version of QWin (26.17). When I then tried to reconcile my credit card account I received the Error Accessing Disk message. I am running QWin inside a virtual machine on my Mac using the latest version of VMWare Fusion. I have had this setup for decades. I have always stored my Q data file in a shared folder on the Mac side of my computer. I have not had any problems until this latest 26.17 update. So, in response to comments I received here, that the data file should not be in a shared folder, I moved my data file "inside" the Windows VM environment, but the disk error reappeared when I tried to do the same reconcile on the same credit card account.

In addition, I also run QWin on my laptop using the same kind of VM setup where the data file is also stored in a shared folder on the Mac side. However, I had not yet updated the Q version on my laptop and i was still running 25.21. Using the data file on the laptop, I was able to reconcile the data file on that laptop with no errors.

I then retrieved a backup file that was created before I updated my desktop to 26.17. First, I tested it out on the laptop under 25.21, and all seemed well. I then transferred that backup file to the desktop running 26.17, and the reconcile action that resulted in the disk error message did NOT reappear. And the reconcile completed successfully under 26.17.

So the conclusion seems pretty clear. Something in 26.17 or in the update process itself, corrupted my data file. I am now using what was the backup file without any problems on my 26.17 machine. It would seem to me that Quicken needs to reexamine 26.17 and see why it is corrupting otherwise healthy data files.

Answers

• JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    I have had this very thing happen, especially when Quicken was still being run by Intuit. This was back during Quicken 2014 or so, and there was no requirement to put a password on your DATA file at the time. (It may have been earlier than 2014, maybe 2010 to 2012 even). One automatic update that came through and installed itself added a PASSWORD to my unpassworded DATA file! This caused me to lose access to all of my transactions going all the way back to 2004 or so, it was VERY inconvenient. At the time, there was a "Password Recovery" process on the Intuit site, which was basically "Upload your DATA file and we'll unlock it for you", but when I upped my DATA file, I was informed that "They couldn't open it".

From THAT MOMENT on, I have been saving my DATA file at least 10 days per month and especially after lots of transactions have been cleared in my register. This, along with makuing a BACKUP every other day. I assigned folders to hold the Backups and the Copes, I keep them SEPARATE, up to date, and I put the previous year's backups and DATA into WinRAR or 7z Archives.

This has effectively saved my life especially after Quicken took over their own operations. there were lots of problems for the first few months and I needed to open up one of my Datafile copies, on at least 4 occasions.

The other solution is to restore your latest backup. But as you say, you have had problems even with that - Try a fresh install of R26.17 and then open a COPY of your Data File from the earlier version. I just updated from Q 2017 H&B to Q 2020 Deluxe, and it converted my Datafile directly. have you ever tried making COPIES of your Data files? It's on the top left, File->Save a Copy As.

Give that a try from any pre-R26.17 installation you have, save a COPY of the3 Data file, see if you can import it into the new version. BTW, are you Deluxe, Pro, H&B? That makes a difference too... I'll be around later, I hope any of this helps, because I have had this issue a LOT...
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
    http://socialspit.net
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JonnyVee

There is no data file conversion between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription. The data file format hasn't changed since 2016.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Jacob Pankowski
    Jacob Pankowski Member ✭✭
    Thanks JonnyVee. I used a backup created before the update and now all is well.
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @JonnyVee 
    >
    > There is no data file conversion between Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription. The data file format hasn't changed since 2016.

You are probably correct as Data file formats from Q 2016 forward (I suppose Q 2016 was when Quicken took over administration and Management of the Quicken iOS/Android Apps and Mac/PC Programs), HOWEVER, when I updated from Q 2017 H&B to Q 2020 Deluxe, a significant amount of time was spent during which I was notified to "Wait while my data file is converted". It was one of the steps. So my own Data file required some kind of conversion, for who knows what reason. However, my own Data file was originally created in 2012-2014, when I had to create a NEW Data file due to my Quicken 'Add a Random Password to Data file during Routine Mondo Update' experience. So my own Data file may have had a previous format, which has worked for me from Q 2015 to 2017.
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Then, you weren't on QW2016, but on something older.
    To prove this to yourself, save your data file (to a USB or such) UNINSTALL your current Q, reinstall QW2016 and try to open the data file.
    IT OPENS.
    If the format wasn't the same, you'd get an error message.
    IF you try to open your current file in QW2015, you'll get that same error.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    > @Jacob Pankowski said:
    > Thanks JonnyVee. I used a backup created before the update and now all is well.

Very good! I am so glad I was able to steer you toward a solution. Always allow Quicken to create a Backup when it prompts you to, and make a COPY of your Data file at least once per week. Do this from now on and keep track of the Backups and Data File copies. Always allow Quicken to time and date stamp the backups. When necessary, always use the MOST RECENT backup or Data File copy.

You can use either a backup or a Data file to restore your Register. Using a Backup is probably the preferred method and the method most people use, as it allows you to re-create the connection to your Banking and/or Credit institutions. If you use a Data file, it already has your banking institution Metadata.

Your Data file is the life's blood of your Quicken Account. I'm glad you did not have to experience a catastrophe to learn this like I did...
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I have been having this Glitch when trying to edit my posts, I get this "Format not Found" error and it will not save... Any way to get around this?
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have enough points to edit your posts. You need 50.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > You don't have enough points to edit your posts. You need 50.

I don't recall ever having to have points to edit... Alright, thanks.
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
  • JonnyVee
    JonnyVee Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Then, you weren't on QW2016, but on something older.To prove this to yourself, save your data file (to a USB or such) UNINSTALL your current Q, reinstall QW2016 and try to open the data file.IT OPENS.If the format wasn't the same, you'd get an error message.IF you try to open your current file in QW2015, you'll get that same error.

I've been using Quicken since around 2004 or so. My Original Data file got the "password added" treatment somewhere around 2012-2014, I think it was more toward 2014. After that, I've been using the exact same data file from Quicken 2015 to 2017 and I just jumped to 2020. from 2017 to 2020 is the longest amount of time where I did not update yearly, I decided to wait until Q 2017 was EOL'd.
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe