Add option to display ticker in reports

I would like to be able to display the ticker symbol in investment reports instead of just the security name. This could be implemented as a check box in the report options dialog.

Better would be to allow the selection of any field (ticker, cost basis, gain, etc.) in investment reports.
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many investment reports already include the option to include the ticker. Click on the gear to customize the report, then select the columns you want to see in "Show columns"

Which particular report(s) would you like to see changed?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    @desplin - Specifically, which investment reports are you referring to? 
    The symbol is already a check box option included in the the Investment Income, Investment Transactions, Capital Gains, Asset Allocations, Investment Transactions and Portfolio Value reports. 
    And Portfolio Value, Portfolio Value & Cost Basis, Asset Allocation and Capital Gains reports also include the check box option to show cost basis. 
    Symbols and cost basis don't seem to fit with the other investment reports I looked at but maybe I'm missing something?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.24 on Windows 10)
  • desplin
    desplin Member ✭✭
    Portfolio Value and Cost Basis is the one I was interested in. I started using the Portfolio Value report instead for this reason, but I'd rather have the option to see the ticker in the Portfolio and Cost Basis report. In general, I think it would be a good thing to have the option in all investment reports that include the security name.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    desplin said:
    Portfolio Value and Cost Basis is the one I was interested in. I started using the Portfolio Value report instead for this reason, but I'd rather have the option to see the ticker in the Portfolio and Cost Basis report. In general, I think it would be a good thing to have the option in all investment reports that include the security name.
    I agree that it would be good to include the check box symbol option in Portfolio Value & Cost Basis report but I personally don't see the need for that being a standard report to begin with.  All of the information in there and more is available in the Portfolio Value report which can be easily customized to look like and report exactly like Portfolio Value & Cost Basis report and once customized it can be saved as a customized report.  So, I view it as being a redundant report.
    I believe that the symbol option is already included in all other Investment Reports that include the security name, but maybe I've missed something.
  • desplin
    desplin Member ✭✭
    I don't see the option to specify an interval in the portfolio value report. I primarily use the Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report to get a time series of the portfolio values so that I can graph my portfolio value over time.

Is there an option that I've missed?

@Boatnmaniac said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I agree that it would be good to include the check box symbol option in Portfolio Value & Cost Basis report but I personally don't see the need for that being a standard report to begin with.  All of the information in there and more is available in the Portfolio Value report which can be easily customized to look like and report exactly like Portfolio Value & Cost Basis report and once customized it can be saved as a customized report.  So, I view it as being a redundant report.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @desplin - You are right, a shortcoming of the Portfolio Value report is that it does not provide the option to report data with time intervals like the Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report does.
    Since all other investment reports do give the option of showing the ticker symbol in them, it is not logical to not also include the check box ticker symbol option in Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report.  So, I voted for your suggested improvement.
    Since this is your improvement idea, you should also vote for your idea.
  • desplin
    desplin Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks, I didn't know I could vote for my improvement idea.