Home Before you Buy

What is the advantage for subscription service over non-subscription? Other than money?

JackJack Member ✭✭
It’s odd how a great product can change so quickly. Yes there were plenty of warnings, but why would a company change such a great product and disregard customer uses and needs? More money? If a company is not growing, it’s dying, or losing customers. I’m out, just one small little client, not important, eh.

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plain and simple, you get to keep downloading and you keep access to Q support.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JackJack Member ✭✭
    I’ve never used Q Support, what is that?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    For Quicken, Inc, it is that with Quicken 2017 no longer being supported for online banking, everyone is using the same version of Quicken and they only have to worry about things like security changes for that one version (actually three, Mac and Win (US & Cdn)) versus that same group for three different years (nine versions).  That is a huge change and allows them to focus their efforts on fixes and improvements rather than doing the same thing three times for all the years currently supported in the past.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JackJack Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply. So, you say the change is for the betterment of the company so they can provide better service for only clients who pay money regularly. Good for the company but not for long time users who don’t use every feature. I can’t justify a subscription for my minimal use. So Quicken says to me, “You don’t give me money regularly, so bye bye.” Since Quicken doesn’t want me, I’ll simply go elsewhere. Oh, as for the company not wanting to upgrade all versions, I get it, but I don’t want it.

Thank you all for your time and input, I’m out of here, bye bye.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can stay using your version.  I'm still using Quicken 2013 on Windows manually.  You don't have to buy the new version.  
  • jockojocko Member ✭✭
    edited May 2
    I have no problem with the subscription ...the three year renewal of the old software was essentially a three year subscription ...so now it happens annually. And what splasher mentioned is a good thing ...having just one version of the software to keep current and secure is a lot easier than dealing with the various versions. And this is also, quite frankly, the law of supply and demand. Quicken is as ubiquitous as a Band-Aid and become the de-facto online banking product. Microsoft and Adobe have adopted the same thing on their industry leading softwares ...Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop respectively ...are two examples of subscription software.
  • JackJack Member ✭✭
    Yes, for power users who need the latest stuff. I am not that user. I'm happy with what works well. Subscription here, subscription there, it all adds up. Open Office is free, Photoshop has alternatives and no drip drip drip of money. The point is, How hard can it be to allow a file, CSV or whatever, to be imported? The little user who uses few features and imports a file once a while should not be shunned. Indeed, it should be free for the lite users. Quicken is classic great. Too bad they seem to forget my kind. I suppose one day I will lose my battle against "the subscription."
    Thank you all for your time and comments.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    You referenced importing a CSV file, well, Q for Windows will only do that for Stock prices.
    Now, what you can do is import a QIF file (not available in Mac). 
    See this thread: Edit QIF -manually
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3
    Jack said:
    Yes, for power users who need the latest stuff. I am not that user. I'm happy with what works well. Subscription here, subscription there, it all adds up. Open Office is free, Photoshop has alternatives
    You are right then... you are looking for a FREE version of something to track your simple financial environment...  
    For some of us, the cost of Quicken is well worth it to completely track all our banking, investment, and credit cards - along with all the online download, reporting, and projecting impacts..... 
    I have always paid for software that I used in making my personal or work life easier or better.... 
    I currently use the Thunderbird (Mozilla) email program, along with the Firefox (Mozilla) browser, and a very old open source spreadsheet program - BUT - I donate to the effort to maintain those programs....

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.