Home Before you Buy

Are there ever any discounts for existing users?

bmgpubbmgpub Member
I've used Quicken for 25+ years. I understand the move to subscription. It would be nice to have a discount for existing customers.

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes Q has a sale ... but when they do it's available to everyone, not just existing users.
    BUT, there's no requirement that you purchase Q from Q.  Search around at eBay, Amazon, Costco, Best Buys, Office Depot, etc for better pricing and frequently longer subscription periods than offered by Q itself.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Jeffrey WilensJeffrey Wilens Member ✭✭
    This was true in 2018, but is it still true in 2020. Amazon does not seem to carry any discounted Quicken subscriptions anymore.
  • bmgpubbmgpub Member
    There's a 20% off for new memberships. Clicking on it brings up the std $74.99 Premier cost. Can I just create a new account in my wife's name and import my saved quicken files?

ebay for a subscription seems sketch. Has anyone done this? Looks like a retail disk box. Is there some code in the box?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1
    For ALL retailers, other than Q itself, you'll get an activation code when you buy Q Subscription.  And your subscription period begins when you activate the product.
    If you buy from Q itself, the product is already activated. And your subscription begins when you PURCHASE the product.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, but then you would have to buy directly from Quicken, Inc since they are the only holder of the information if you are a returning customer versus a new user.
    Usually, Amazon has a good deal and a slightly longer period of 14 or 27 months versus 12 or 24.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jockojocko Member ✭✭
    edited May 2
    > @bmgpub said:
    > I've used Quicken for 25+ years. I understand the move to subscription. It would be nice to have a discount for existing customers.

I just "upgraded" to Quicken subscription from a 2017 Starter Edition. A few things happened for me to get a discount on a 2-year subscription. First, signed into my Quicken account, I was offered a 10% off price for a year subscription to the Premium version. The previous day I had seen, posted on the Quicken.com website, offers to new customers for both one and two year subscriptions @ 20% off. My drop dead date for my 2017 version was fast approaching so I went with the 10% discount via my account. When it came time to pay, the full price was charged; that's called bait and switch. . I downloaded the Premium version, set it up and immediately took advantage of the "premium helpline". I spoke with the guy and told him my disappointment with the pricing issue, the "bait and switch" tactic and the fact I wanted a 2yr discounted subscription as offered on their Quicken.com site. Without any ado, the guy cancelled my first order, refunded my credit card and reset my order for the two year subscription at a 20% off discount. At the time, I was also having issues with signing into my Quicken account to get my Premier version up and running; I spent the better part of an hour with him and in the end it turned out to be a non-bypass security issue with too many sign in attempts on my part. Because of this I was awarded an additional 10% off ...so I was able to score a 30% off discount for a 2 year subscription. I would simply complain to the helpline folks and tell them you want the 20% off that new customers are getting.
  • Claude BlouinClaude Blouin Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 20
    I kept getting this message for the last 10 days...! (40% OFF !) Directly from Quicken, BUT..... avaiable to new memberships only..

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Claude Blouin" ,

In About Quicken, how long is your "Membership valid until"?

According to Quicken, existing Customers are considered to be New Customers, 30 days after their Membership has expired.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.12 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20221.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.508

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.