Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why is manually updating stock prices so appallingly slow ?

I live in Australia and so have to manually update all my stock prices. It is a cumbersome process (opening up an editor on each stock, clicking on price history, type price, click on "Done") especially compared to Q2007.

Anyway, recently, it has become appallingly slow to save each new price. When I click on the "Done" button, Quicken shows the spinning rainbow for a good 30 seconds before letting me do anything else. At this rate it will take at least one hour to update all my stocks. It used to be a 5 minute task.

I am using Quicken Deluxe 2020 v 5.15.3.

Why is this part of Quicken so slow ?

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Hello @[email protected],

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing difficulties with updating stock prices in Quicken.

May I ask, what specific steps do you take in Quicken to manually update your stock prices?

When attempting to replicate this myself, I went into the price history of a security, and I both edited an existing entry, as well as made a new entry, but did not experience any issues or latency when saving the new information.

If you are manually updating these a different way, please let us know so that we can best understand the situation and assist. :)

You may also consider fully quitting out of Quicken by going to Quicken>About Quicken, and then performing a reboot of your computer, if you have not already done so.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Garry@
    [email protected] Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for responding so quickly. In testing today I've had no trouble at all. I don't know what the trouble was on Saturday but, it's fine now. I only run Quicken when I am using it and reboot the Mac every day. So, perhaps quitting Quicken and rebooting fixed the issue.

By the way, the process is still cumbersome: double-click on security, click on "Price History", click on "Closing Price", type price, press return key, click on "Done". It takes time and requires a particular combination of mouse and keyboard.

Today I found that Quicken is scriptable. So, I might be able to speed things up with an AppleScript.

Many thanks and please take care.

Garry
This discussion has been closed.