Online bill causes Projected Balances to use current bill amount in all future projections

I'm seeing different behavior from Quicken 2017 (I just upgraded to the subscription-based Quicken on Windows). I have some bills that are much larger twice a year, and the Quicken 2017 behavior was much better IMO.

I have an online bill linked to a reminder.

In Quicken 2017, the Projected Balances would show the next bill as the actual amount from the biller, and then future amounts would default to the bill reminder amount. E.g. I have an online bill linked to a reminder; the reminder was set up to be $4000, but the next actual bill is $6000. In Quicken 2017, the Projected Balances would use $6000 (for the next bill), and then all future amounts would be $4000. This is the behavior that seems correct to me.

In Quicken 2020 (R26.17), the Projected Balances uses $6000 for every future amount when the next bill is for $6000. This throws my Project Balances way off and projects me in negative cash flow very quickly. The Quicken 2017 behavior seemed much more intuitive.

Is there any way to get back to the Quicken 2017 behavior for Projected Balances? I know that I could have a reminder and an online bill separate (not linked), but then I have 2 reminders show up under "Bills".

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tdub

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this time there are no additional settings available to change the amounts used in the projected balances screen.

However, when I edit a reminder to change the next upcoming instance the future amount is changed and the following amounts state the reminder.

I have an online biller linked to this reminder, and the amount due differs from the upcoming amount and the amount the reminder is set for.

I have been unable to recreate what you have described. Does this occur on every single bill or just the one biller?

Also, are you able to include a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the response!
    If I change a reminder to estimate for me (I use the past 6 payments), it gives me this warning ("This reminder is linked to an online bill...the due amount and due date will be update...", and it changes all future instances in the Projected Balances to the specific value. And I lose the specific amount of the next bill that was downloaded from the online biller.

If I then Refresh the online bill, it changes the next AND all future amounts in Projected Balances to be the current bill amount.

So, what am I doing different than you?
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    And I forgot to mention that this happens with all of my online billers. I only have 3 online, though.

Just a bit more info: I created manual reminders, and then linked to online billers.
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    I am increasingly-frustrated with the way Quicken 2020 Subscription (27.1.26.23) is handling online billers, future bill due dates, and Projected Balances.

Since my last comment, I have paid 3 bills using the biller's online websites or my bank's website (i.e. I am NOT using Quicken for paying bills) and entered those payments manually in Quicken. Now, the Projected Balances are even worse in that they don't show 2 of the billers AT ALL in future calculations. Now that I have paid 3 bills, two of them are not showing up in the Projected Balances AT ALL. I have 2 Discover Card bills that are online bills linked to manually-created reminders, and neither of these are showing at all in Projected Balances. If I change the "manual bill reminders" for these, then they show up in Projected Balances, but after I do an online update of the billers, they no longer show up in Projected Balances at all.

NOTE that I used to do this with Quicken 2017 Premier without issue...the Projected Balances (using the "reminder" amount instead of the "last paid" amount) AND the next due dates would show correctly in Quicken 2017 Premier.

The first attached screenshot shows my current Projected Balances where I should have 2 Discover card bills due on 6/19 and 6/20. Instead, they don't show up at all (presumably until the online biller has a new bill with a due date for them), so my Projected Balance is ever-increasing without these.

This also makes it hard to look at next bill due dates. They should show up based on the reminder that the online biller is linked to, but instead they don't show up at all until the online biller has a bill due. In Quicken 2017 Premier, they would still show as being due on the Reminder due date (using the amount from the reminder). In this version of Quicken, it only shows them as "Upcoming" instead of using the manual bill reminder due date. The reminder knows when these should be due, so why do they only show up as "Upcoming"??? Once again, this worked in Quicken 2017 Premier.
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka any update on this and why this is happening? I.e. is this something I'm doing differently than you?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing a similar behavior as you.  My projected balances were always inaccurate because they were either the current amount due or $0. This is my workaround for more accurate projected balances.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20093331#Comment_20093331  
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    @jrfaris : thanks for the info! I think I'm going to try your method...it would work better than my current method!
    Using your method it seems you would only get the current bill and the reminder bill double counted (in Projected Balances) only until you "skip" or "mark as paid" for one of them (whichever one you decide to actually use for the entry).
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I haven't discovered a significant drawback yet. Once I reconcile the biller's account I ignore the duplicate.  I usually use the reminder rather than the bill to make the payment.  That way I can use BillPay to schedule the payment at an appropriate time. Also, I can't get online bills for certain accounts (Capital One for example) so I have to manage them manually anyway.  When I start using Bill Manager more often, I may discover some issues but I expect it will continue to be easier to do it this way.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
This discussion has been closed.