Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Security prices missing - Quicken 2013

HI All,
Having ignored my securities in Quicken for the past 10 + years (about when our kids came along) I'm just now getting back to updating everything. Given that I have Q13, downloading transactions is not an option, so I'm adding them manually. However, I've run into a strange situation when trying to add old prices by hand. When I try to enter them manually, quicken will not 'take' them when I press enter. They simply do not show up in the price history. This is even though prices from about 2014 to present do appear. It was about 2014 when I upgraded from Q2004, during which I had to do an intermediate upgrade. For the affected securities, the price and value appears in portfolio view ('holding') for any date after 2014, but not for any date before 2014. This I find quite odd. I can't even add them manually.

After I upgraded to 2013 I began downloading transactions from my brokerage accounts. I think this is when the problem started. I think it's affecting all my securities with holding periods that overlap the 2013 upgrade. There are no issues with securities closed out before the upgrade or acquired after the upgrade. This is why I think the downloaded transactions and prices is what's causing the problem.

I have read a few posts from 2018 where another quicken user ran into a similar problem, and there were a couple of ideas floating around to try and help. But I don't know if there was ever a final answer as to the best way to fix the security price history. No idea how this happened but it's very frustrating to say the least.

I've tried several different methods to fix this and only one that seems to work is completely deleting all of the transactions related to the security, then the security and all it's price history and completely starting all over. Once I re-enter the transactions and the security all is well and I can add historical prices again. I have all my old records, but boy is it a tedious process. I just figured out how to import prices from a CSV file, so that a step in the right direction.
So now I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that's had this same problem and found an easier way to fix this mess. I'd like to have clean data and I'm willing to do what it reasonably takes, I just don't want to spend a lot of time and find out in the end it was a waste.

I would sincerely appreciate hearing from anyone that has any thoughts on this.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure that whatever causes it is not a lack of installed bug fixes ...

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

• DavegtrDavegtr Member
    UKR - Thank you for the link. I can confirm I've applied the latest patch.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken uses (for the most part) the ticker of the security to organize its price history information.  You might try the following sequence:
    1. Change the ticker on the security from what it is to something else (TEMP?).  Take the option to copy the old ticker prices to the new symbol.  Take the option to delete the old ticker prices.
    2. Change the ticker back to the original.  This is mostly to keep your own sanity.  Apply the same acceptances (copy from TEMP to 'correct' ticker; delete TEMP prices) 
    The premise here as that the process of Quicken creating a new set of price history information for a new security will clear out whatever glitch has gotten in the way of older price entries. 

It is possible you will be able to proof the results after step 1 (older prices may be accepted at that point). 

It may also be beneficial or necessary to exit and restart Quicken between steps 1 and 2.   

HTH and is easier than what you are going through.

• DavegtrDavegtr Member
    lurker - Success! Excellent advice - thank you so much! I did have to tweak the process just a little. Instead of copying over the old ticker prices, I simply deleted them all when changing the ticker to 'TEMP'. Then when I changed the ticker back to the correct symbol, I did not copy the TEMP prices (bc there were none) to the correct/new symbol. I was then able to download historical prices from Yahoo finance into a CSV and import into Quicken. Then voila! all the security prices are back. Deleting the old prices and changing the ticker symbol back and forth, as you suggested, must have deleted whatever error there was in my data. So happy I don't have to re-enter all those transactions (some go back to the early 90's).
    One thing to note if anyone else tries this method is be sure to adjust the prices from Yahoo Finance for any splits, otherwise historical prices will be split adjusted and therefore not correct. And it should be obvious that completely deleting you existing price file works for any security that is publicly traded and still quoted. However, I have a few securities not around anymore (the old Kraft Foods Group for one) so in those cases I'll export my historical prices to a TXT file, convert to a CSV file, then import after cleaning up the ticker.
    Thanks again!
    Davegtr said:
    lurker - Success! Excellent advice - thank you so much! I did have to tweak the process just a little. Instead of copying over the old ticker prices, I simply deleted them all when changing the ticker to 'TEMP'. ...
    @Davegtr  Did you try copying them over and back -- and that did not work?

My reason to copy them over is to cover the cases you noted -- where the prices for a security are no longer available.  Also, the 5-year data via Quicken is only month end for the oldest four years.  (Transaction prices can also get rebuilt into the history.)  That month-end data is not sufficient for all users.  Then as you also noted, there can be adjustments due to splits and spinoffs

If at all possible, I'd be trying to keep those old prices in Quicken's original form.   
  • DavegtrDavegtr Member
    Yes, I tried to copy them back from the TEMP ticker, but still ran into the same problem, not being able to add new historical prices. Before deleting the prices I exported them and the security transactions to a text file so I retained the historical record. I then ran the CSV file from Yahoo Finance and compared them to the historical quicken prices to make sure they were correct. Ideally I would like to keep the historical prices but in their original form there was some sort of data error preventing access to the pre-upgrade prices. With Yahoo Finance you do have the option of daily, weekly, monthly prices.

The only other option I found that worked is completely deleting the security & related transactions and re-entering it all. So this seems like a better option even though I'm not able to retain the historical file?
    Thanks for the clarification.
    FYI there is also a QPH File Processor program out there (google it) that I have used successfully in the past recovering prices out of the Quicken data base and re-importing them as a csv file.  
  • DavegtrDavegtr Member
    Interesting, I will play around with that. Would be nice to just use what prices I have. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.