Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken reverts to old data file. All work lost unless backup is found and manually imported.

How do I prevent this annoyance from happening? Fortunately, I know where my backup files are, though sometimes even they can be hard to find. Yes, I have auto-backup enabled. I also frequently do a manual backup. I have taken to backing up both on my preferred external harddrive and in the user profile which I believe is Quicken's preferred method, but data still disappears.

Windows 10, Quicken Starter (upgrade from old Quicken Deluxe, think 2017), R26.17, Build 27.1.26.17 Preference is for desktop only - no Cloud
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Raya
    Raya Member
    Thanks for the quick response, Greg_the_Geek.

Data file path - C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken\Q13Files

Controlled Folder Access? Hmmm... Don't think that applies? Using Webroot, not Windows Defender for antivirus. If it does apply, how do I check?

Not using OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Backup. No online or cloud backups for the desktop. Just a local external hard drive. No backup program, just save or copy the file to the drive.

In this instance, I use Quicken and tell it to save the backup file to that external drive. And then, since that wasn't working too well and I thought Quicken might be looking in the wrong place for the latest file, I also tell it to save to C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP. I did a lot of work yesterday that vanished today. When I went to find the backup file that I had made, only the one in the user profile was there. The external hard drive file was gone?

Never used to have so much trouble with Quicken. I never remember it losing data before either in my main file or my backup. So disappointing and irritating. Hope you or someone else can help me fix whatever is wrong.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Also change the file name to 8 characters or less.  Sometimes it looses track of it when longer and wants to use the old 8.3 format like xxxxxxx.qdf
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken normally opens the last file that was used. Try starting Quicken and then clicking File. Is the current file C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken\Q13Files? Exit Quicken and check the date/time on the data file. Is the date/time very recent? 

C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP is for automatic backups. Why can't you backup to your external drive?
  • Raya
    Raya Member
    Volvogirl: I just left it the default name. Qdata01. That seems to be what it saved as in the user profile document that I opened as the backup today.

Greg_the_Geek: It says that the default file is in the external hard drive. I do see references to a different user path for Bill Jr. Hmmm... Maybe it went there yesterday. Not sure why there are two user profiles for Bill Jr.

Made a few account data entries and shut down Quicken. The external hard drive folder shows yesterday's date and time, so I guess the backup from then reappeared. *sigh* I know it wasn't there before. Maybe it's a Windows issue...

The latest QData file in the path I gave for Bill Jr originally is from 2016 .

The latest QData file in the other Bill Jr path that I was just reminded of (C:\Users\Bill Jr.DESKTOP-0RSECAU\Documents\Quicken) is from March of 2020. Same for the latest file in that path's backup folder.

There is no file dated today in any location I know to look.
  • Raya
    Raya Member
    Reopened Quicken, and today's changes are there. I think I found the base file in a totally different location using File from the Quicken menu as suggested earlier. It has today's date on it at any rate.

So, to fix my problem, I need to make the base file to be in one location always (delete all others, mark folders as do not use, write it down, whatever). How did it move between last night and today, though? I logged in the same way. It should have saved the changes, but it didn't have anything since I last updated and saved in March. I only use this one profile to access Quicken, and I do that by launching the program, not by opening a file.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    The preferred location for Quicken data files is C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken and C:\Users\Bill Jr\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP for Quicken automatic backups. Manual backup locations are the users choice.

I don't know what you mean by "base file". You have a Quicken data file with the extension of .QDF and a Quicken data backup file with the extension of .QDF-backup. When you create a manual backup, it's a good idea to use the add data option.
  • Raya
    Raya Member
    Okay, I'll try to see if I can get the default file to switch over to that. Hopefully, that will resolve the random missing data issue. *fingers crossed*
This discussion has been closed.