Unable to deactivate online services after Quicken 2017 expiration

Connected services of my Quicken 2017 expired on April 30th, 2020, and I decided not to renew for a good number of reasons. I tried to go ahead and deactivate online services for my linked account after the expiration since I cannot use them anyway, only to learn that I am unable to complete even the deactivation process. When I go to Account Details -> Online Services -> Online setup -> Deactivate, a "Quicken Update Status" window comes up with a "Connecting..." message but it never disconnects my account. Your help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• gotthard
    gotthard Member
    Accepted Answer
    Spoke too soon, found the solution right after I posted my quesiton. You have to disconnect your computer from the network, deactivate your accounts, then reconnect your network. It only works that way.

Answers

• gotthard
    gotthard Member
    Accepted Answer
    Spoke too soon, found the solution right after I posted my quesiton. You have to disconnect your computer from the network, deactivate your accounts, then reconnect your network. It only works that way.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried this with an account (Chase credit card) that was setup for Direct Connect.  I did not have to any anything special with my network.  I just went to the Account List (Tools menu), clicked on "edit", selected the Online Services tab of the Account Details pop-up and clicked on "deactivate".
    Was your account possibly setup for Express Web Connect downloads?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @splasher I tried it and at least with PayPal/Express Web Connect it wouldn't deactivate.  In fact it wouldn't deactivate even with the network disabled!

I think with Express Web Connect it all depends on the expected interaction with the financial institution.  With Direct Connect it is between Quicken and the financial institution so there isn't a middle server (I guess that Intuit's servers refuse to send at least some of the messages).

Interesting enough even though Quicken 2017 wouldn't go into the Deactivated state, when I got back to Quicken Subscription in a copy of the same data file it told me that it wasn't connected when I went to update.  And so I had to deactivate there and reconnect.  So even though Quicken 2017 didn't deactivate PayPal got the message somehow.  Note also I first did this with the network connected, and then with it disabled.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.