Home Before you Buy

renew or simply rebuy

jperljperl Member
I'm new to this subscription service. I have version 2019 which expires this mid June. Quicken is asking me to renew at $80. Should I do this or rebuy the product at retail for $69. I also notice that there are sales on 2 year subscriptions for a $30 savings, but Quicken isn't offering me this.
Any suggestions?

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchase where you find the best price. Online retailers sell the activation code which is all you need to enter on quicken.com to extend your current subscription.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    Since 2018, it is just subscription Quicken, the year is pure marketing.  Having an active subscription gets you all updates to the software and all the online banking features.  It is an all inclusive price, not a fee in addition to the software purchase.
    It doesn't matter where you purchase Quicken from, Quicken.com or a retailer partner, it is all the same, the only difference is the $/month, so shop around for the best deal.
    Now and then, Quicken.com will make an offer that is pretty good that is only valid to first time subscription buyers, so there is a chance that Quicken.com may be a better deal that the retailers.
    If you purchase from Quicken.com, the initial subscription starts at the time of purchase; with a retail purchase, it starts when you activate the subscription.
    I advise that after your subscription is active, you login to Quicken.com and set your account preferences to "Auto Renew" to OFF, that way you have complete control over the price when you extend your subscription in the future since Quicken.com charges MSRP.
    If you already have an active subscription, purchasing either way will EXTEND the subscription, this just has to happen during the last 6 months of the current subscription. (Keeps you from buying lots of activation codes and immediately activating all of them, so that you end up with a subscription ending in 5 years or so)
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jperl ,

Question: Can you wait and allow your Membership with Quicken to expire? Once it expires, wait 30 Days and you can buy as a New Member. Ideally, to save 40% with each renewal, because Quicken does not treat existing Users with respect and give existing Users the same breaks as a New User gets, in my opinion.

If you wait for the Major Holidays, you can save 40%, usually.

Another solution: Create a Brand New Quicken User ID. You need to verify the Email Address. Log into that New Quicken User ID. Once you are logged into that Account, you have access to Plans and Pricing.

You can do without logging but you may forget which Email Address to use..

Up to you!

• grygry Member ✭✭
    $80 a year for something that doesn't work most of the time-YEA RIGHT . They constantly cant get it fixed, adds things wrong continually, sell a stock and it shows a short sell half they time, transactions from banks and CC constantly wrong. This thing has gone down hill and they can't seem to hire the proper people to fix it.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @gry ,

Enter your transactions, manually, Then download your transactions to clear the transactions entered. This gives you the best control of your transactions.

This discussion has been closed.