Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I track a check pay payment?

:( The manual states: "Quicken gives you the ability to track your check payments. Once you select the link under the Last Payment Status column, you see a screen that describes the current status of the payment. The following status levels are the most common: "

When I go to "Bills and Income", I see a column labeled "Last Payment". The status levels listed in the manual do not appear in that column, nor can I select a link under that column. For one of the bills, the column has "Entered" then "May 4". For another Check Pay bill it has no information in that column. In neither case is there a link in the column.

The manual states there should be the following status levels:
Processing
Printed & delivered to the USPS for mailing
Estimated Deliver Date: YYYY-DD-MM (The date your check is expected to arrive)
Unable to deliver.  Returned to sender

However, none of these status statements appear in the "Last Payment" column.

How do I "track a check pay payment"? The manual states I should be able to, but I cannot figure it out.

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I check on payments in the register of the payment account. For the payment transaction in question, click on Check #, then status.
    The Bill & Income tab is work in progress and is causing confusion for many users. Getting the Last Payment column to update correctly is problematic.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • amannucci
    amannucci Member
    Thank you for responding. The problem is that it won't show up in the register until the check is cashed. If there is a problem with the check delivery, I have no way of knowing. Then the bill may become overdue. It would be much better to get a status message that the check has been sent. Right now, there is zero feedback. Since this is a new service, I have no way of knowing if I made a mistake. As I said, seeing the "overdue" notice on the Bills and Income tab is a little ominous. If I contact my service provider, they'll have no idea what I'm talking about. They of course will not know if the check was sent or not. In the old system, I could go to the BillPay web site and check on status. This is not possible with the new service.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for reference, for anybody who reads this:
    This same problem was discussed and solved here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875238/why-is-my-bill-listed-as-overdue-quicken-bill-manager#latest

• amannucci
    amannucci Member
    I have an additional comment. From a user interface standpoint, it would be better the call the button "Pay Now" or "Pay Bill" rather than "Check Pay". "Check Pay" is not an action. It is the name of the method for payment. That method has already been entered, so it is not intuitive to press the button "Check Pay" to initiate payment. That is why I pressed the little drop down -- trying to get status after I thought I had entered the information for payment.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2cents' worth: I don't use Bill Pay / Bill Manager at all. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, whatever the biller calls it. Just authorize the biller to debit the payment from the checking or credit card account on due date, sit back, relax and wait for it to happen.
    When I get notified about a new statement having arrived, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

• amannucci
    amannucci Member
    Thanks for the advice. I don't get this option for many of the billers I work with. Now I can use AutoPay for some billers, but not all.
This discussion has been closed.