After update from Quicken 2017 to paid subscription, thousands of missing transactions

I just reluctantly paid to upgrade so I could manually import transactions, downloaded and installed the "new" software. Opened quicken and only a handful of transactions exist per year all the way back to 2008 on all my accounts. What is remaining is mostly not cleared. There are hundreds or thousands of "new" transactions to accept. How do I get all that data back and how to stop the "This program is not responding" messages? What did I just pay for?

Answers

• ymzbills
    ymzbills Member
    For example, there are no transactions between Feb 2019 and April 2020 on any accounts. Also, it appears quicken did not take a backup of the database before upgrading which seems odd. Should I have taken one, yes, but typically a backup is taken by the software before an upgrade.
  • ymzbills
    ymzbills Member
    Under bills and income, how do I get the bills back? I can't select months and the bills just show a due date, but for what year? Is there a way to revert back?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you have opened an old data file.  To locate a more recent file or backup, I suggest you select File > Find Quicken Files....
  • ymzbills
    ymzbills Member
    I did the Find Quicken Files and it is using the latest one that it is supposed to be using. It has transactions that I manually entered yesterday, but it is missing entire months out of every year. I tried accepting all the transactions on one account, there are 994 of them and it was asking me questions about each one I didn't know the answer to, once it was finished our account balances were way off, by hundreds of thousands of dollars so I did the undo accept all transactions, now they are within 1500 of where they should be. I'm not sure what to do besides restoring my laptop to a backup before I updated, then try and export as much out of quicken as I can and find some other solution. I've been using quicken since the 90s but am not going to pay for this headache. If this doesn't get resolved then hopefully amex can refund my quicken subscription payment.
  • ymzbills
    ymzbills Member
    Ok, I was able to restore the quicken database from a veeam backup taken before quicken was updated to get my transactions back. Quicken support on the phone was unable to restore the transactions. My advice, take a backup before you update as the software won't do it for you as I think it should.
  • gregsu168
    gregsu168 Member ✭✭
    I had a similar issue but was not missing thousands, but maybe a hundred or so transactions. Finally, reluctantly upgraded from 2017 and also been using Q since early 90s. Started using 2020 subscription since all the current accounts looked fine. But after a couple weeks, noticed that in old closed credit card accounts which were all reconciled and zeroed out, there were missing transactions from 2017/2018 - the balances were no longer zero. I didn't want to go back and use my backup before the upgrade because I had added new transactions in the new file, so spent a couple hours reconstructing since I still had copies of credit card statements.

So - take a backup before you update and then immediately check ALL accounts, even those you've closed and hidden. Actually, I still didn't check every single closed account, but only those that did not have a Zero balance. So you may want to zero out those old closed accounts before upgrading in order to tell if anything is missing afterwards
    Since 1993 and now using subscription Win10 H&B&Rental
This discussion has been closed.