Downloading transactions from my bank adds random check numbers and memos to the register

Chris29
Chris29 Member, Windows Beta ✭✭✭
I'm running some reports, and see lots of random numbers in the check number field for transactions that should have no information here. It seems if the field is blank, the downloaded transactions will add a transaction number to this field, which is super annoying.

It adds random strings of characters to the memo fields if blank also.

i do not want anything to populate blank fields when I download transactions. how do I prevent this behavior?
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Chris,

Your question is similar to another recent post here in the Community - please see this thread https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872164/memo-field-contains-partial-description

I would suggest that the answer suggested by @UKR - see below - will likely solve your problem. 

"All my transactions are always manually recorded the way I want them to appear, with proper Payee Names and Memo. I always record transactions before they appear in a download. That takes a lot of attempts by Quicken to be helpful out of the picture, because now the only thing Quicken can do is to match the downloaded info to what's already in the register, correctly named and categorized.
    You might want to take Quicken out of "autopilot", put your hands on the steering wheel and take control over your transactions. You get much better results that way."

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Chris29
    sorry, but that is mostly unrelated to my issue.

Still looking for a way to prevent Quicken from ADDING information into otherwise blank fields.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @Chris,

Yes, I understand your goal - unfortunately, it actually depends on the information provided by your FI in its downloads (i.e. - some provide more info than others).  The only way I know to prevent that information from populating those fields upon download is to enter data into the fields before you connect to the FI.  You could even just enter a blank space in the fields that are at issue, and that should prevent the download to those fields.  I view this information (also what I said above) to be directly related to your initial issue; sorry that you don't.

And this is probably not the answer you want, but it is the best I can do.

Good luck!

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Chris29
    thanks for trying, but hopefully someone from Quicken can/will respond with something more solid.

If they say it can't be done, then I guess it becomes a suggestion.

It seems a terrible methodology to change an existing transaction and not allow one to opt out of such changes.
This discussion has been closed.