One Step Update does not update my online bills.

I recently upgraded from Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2020 for WIndows by signing up for subscription. When I use One Step Update, my online bills do not update. When I update/refresh an online bill individually, it works as expected.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My update: I have had two online bills become available over the last few days. Both were updated when I performed the One Step Update. Good news! So it appears my removing all online bills, resetting the Quicken cloud data, recreating all my online bills, recreating and linking bill reminders to the online bills -- worked.

Answers

• Quicken Diana
    Quicken Diana Moderator, Employee mod

Hello @ JimRQuick

Thank you for reaching out in the Community, though I am sorry you are experiencing this issue.

Please try these steps:

Close Quicken and open the Windows File Explorer.  In the File Explorer window go to:  C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\ Bill Pay.

Open “bill pay” file with the gear icon and change the "NBP_UseBatchBillUpdate=1" to be "NBP_UseBatchBillUpdate=0".

Save the changes (File > Save) and once saved, open Quicken and attempt to update bills using the "update all" in the Bills and Income window or "update bills" in the One Step Update settings window. Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Thank you

-          Quicken Diana 

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Quicken Diana. I will try this and let you know. One additional piece of data. I maintain two Quicken files -- one file with accounts and bills for myself, and a second Quicken file for a relative. Shortly after my initial post on this problem, I did One Step Update for the relative's Quicken file, and it seemed to work. One of the online bills was updated. But for my online bills, One Step Update did not seem to be updating the online bills. Strange that it would work for one Quicken file but not the other. I will do as you suggested, wait for my next set of online bills to occur, and try again. Thank you.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    I knew I had an online bill waiting, because I received an email notification from the biller a couple of days ago. This morning I performed One Step Update; the result was no online bills showed ready to pay. The notation is "Awaiting next bill." So I clicked on the specific bill that I knew was ready, clicked "Refresh", and it did update with the expected amount and due date. My conclusion is, One Step Update is still not updating my online bills.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    One more thing -- I double-checked my settings for One Step Update. I DO have the Online Bills checked. I DO NOT have the Quicken Cloud checked because I do not use the Quicken Cloud.
  • Quicken Diana

JimRQuick

Thank you for posting your updates. Were you able to follow the steps that I previously posted? I see from your recent posts that the issue of One Step Update not updating your bills persists and I am hoping that you can follow the file pathway C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\ Bill Pay, and verify that the changes were made to the specific Bill Pay file.

As of this morning we do have an open alert involving the One Step Update function and so solving the Biller Update Issue may not be productive at this time.

Please verify that the Bill Pay file was changed and I will keep an eye on the alert so that we can continue to problem solve.

Thank you

-          Quicken Diana

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Quicken Diana. Yes, I made the change you recommended back on May 20. I just checked to make sure that parameter was still set to 0, as you instructed, and it is.
  • Quicken Diana

JimRQuick

As you may have noticed, the alert involving One Step Update has been resolved. If your bills are still not being updated in the One Step Update process, please contact us at our SUPPORT center. I realize with the actions already taken, the best way to proceed will be to work directly with an agent.

Thank you

-          Quicken Diana

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    I noticed I was experiencing some negative progress. I could not update an online bill even individually. I had an online bill that I knew was ready to be updated in Quicken, because I had received an email from the biller. So I did the following:
    Removed all online bills
    Deleted all pending payments to online billers
    Deleted all reminders associated with online billers
    Reset the Quicken cloud data
    Recreated all my online bills; this appeared to be successful; they were updated as I created them with correct amounts and due dates, unless not yet available
    Recreated reminders and linked them to the online bills
    I changed that parameter you mentioned from zero back to 1. (Should I have done that?)

I will let you know the next time I have an online bill ready to update, and if it gets updated during One Step Update or individual online bill update. Time will tell if this worked.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My update: I have had two online bills become available over the last few days. Both were updated when I performed the One Step Update. Good news! So it appears my removing all online bills, resetting the Quicken cloud data, recreating all my online bills, recreating and linking bill reminders to the online bills -- worked.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am having similar / same issues. SOME bills update as expected. Some  do not update after messages from the biller that a new bill is available.

Question: from the time you get a message from a biller about this month's bill, how long does it take to have one step update bring it in to Quicken? Another day? Two, Three? I prefer to wait right now rather than  individually refreshing from biller to see if it will work but just delayed.

Second Question: If I make the .ini change, could that create other issues? And if not, does just changing back make things whole again if it does not work?

I still am not 100% since I made the cut form 2017 to 2020 on April 27th. I would hate to remove billers again and redo and wait another month to see if it is working as expected.

Appreciate feedback on this. Thanks.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Decided to try the .ini switch change figuring it was only changing how the data was downloaded, perhaps slowing down that process. One of the three bills was then updated. I'll continue to check for another day or two to see if the two others update, then try the refresh bill individually.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Hi Bob. For some of my online bills, I get an email notification from the biller, and then it may be 2 or 3 days before that online bill pops up in Quicken. For other online bills, it pops up in Quicken 1-3 days before I get an email notification from the biller. For still others, I get an email notification from the biller, and it pops up in Quicken the very next day. The only way I was able to get One Step Update to update my online bills was to go through that process I outlined above: delete all future payments of online bills, delete bill reminders, delete the online bills, reset the Quicken cloud data, and then re-create everything.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim. I have two of the four I know are ready that have come in now. One very overdue to the point of now being 7 days from due. If they are not in this morning I will try Refresh Bill hoping that will not only retrieve but reset it for next month.

I have had to do that reset for ALL bills twice (first when going 2017-2020 and bills were not "imported" correctly) and then 4 bills totally reset after something odd a month ago restoring from a recent backup. I would love a month where all worked finally :)
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I am down to 2 billers issues. Xfinity it seems changed its password requirements. I have successfully changed and updated on iPhone. iPad, browsers but Quicken just tells me when re-adding Xfinity the authorization failed. I believe it wants to have me enter a validation code, but nothing pops up to allow that. Any idea how to fix this?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Seems others having the exact same issue with Xfinity so taking this problem there for me:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20100962#Comment_20100962

unable to link online bill for Xfinity Mobile

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Turns out my fix was not successful after all. Or it didn't last long. I'm back to the same problem. One Step Update is not updating my online bills. But when I go to the individual bill and "refresh" it (after I know there is a new bill available), it does update. Sigh!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Problem with all your bills Jim., or just some? And if some, always the same "some"?

I "believe" I have just two more to test. I think Amex needs refresh. Maybe Xfinity. Waiting to see this months (Aug) bills come in.

• JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Thanks for quick reply, Bob. Guess I declared victory too early! I will need to make a chart of all my online bills, when each is due, when I typically receive notice from the biller, and when Quicken recognizes an online bill is ready. And, if so, whether it popped up in One Step Update, or whether I had to "refresh" it one-by-one. I may find out that some of my online bills do get refreshed by One Step Update. I'll let you know. Jim
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Status report: My most recent three online bills -- none was updated when I used One Step Update. I had to "refresh" each one individually.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not encouraging. I have two I am unsure of until this next billing period. Most seem to work. I do not understand why some are different.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    JimRQuick said:
    Status report: My most recent three online bills -- none was updated when I used One Step Update. I had to "refresh" each one individually.
    Well, waited until the update to 28.10 and I knew I have two bills due - one in 15 days so the online bill had to be ready and the website showed the new statement and new bill. Nope, OSU did not get the payment. But REFRESH for each did.

I have to agree OSU does not get ALL bills due. It does get some.

How can we get more attention to this? It makes using Bills near worthless if I have to remember when to use a manual refresh. And then having to wait a month again to see if it works then.

This IS a problem!

~Bob
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Hi Bob. I agree with you completely. OSU does not update online bills, or at least not all of them. It worked fine in Quicken 2017. So I pay a subscription fee, upgrade to Quicken 2020, and an important feature no longer works. I wonder if there is some setting I should have changed to make it work.

I hope someone from Quicken reads this thread and advises us.

Jim
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now three for me, Jim, but this one seems to have lost itself a little differently. A refresh brought Biller Added, awaiting next bill. I know that one. I have to unlink, remove, re-add, re-link. Has happened too many times. Then it downloaded the new bill without a refresh. Remains to be seen if it does again in a month.

Can't be just you and me with this problem.

For grins, today's billers than needed a REFRESH were Chase and Well Fargo.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Hi, Bob. Something new to report -- One of my online bills popped up with One Step Update today. Interesting that some do, some don't. I don't know what that means. Jim
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim. Same for me. And like you, I do not understand why.

The next month should tell me how many have the issue. Unfortunate it takes that long to run through all.
  • johncros
    johncros Member ✭✭
    Yeah, i am in the same boat. It took many months for me to finally get "Billing" - aka "Bill Presentment" to work reliably on Q2017/Win. It was a primary reason we stayed on Q2017 as long as we could. In Q2017, the updates would occur as part of OSU.
    It is a very useful/important feature to us. We are retired. We use it to know how much money we need to transfer to our checking account in order to support all the automatic ACH drafts that are going to be presented by our CCs and utilities. At least this past month, it does look like they can be updated by individual manual "refresh" operations. I hope Q will fix it. We see in the coming months.
    I don't really have much to offer. I am posting and hoping it will provide an easy way to track any suggestions/solutions Quicken offers in the thread.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Best I recall, only suggestion @Quicken has provided is changing the billpay.ini file switch. I am unsure yet if that has made a difference.

I encourage others to report the issue and point them to this thread. Maybe we can get some visibility.

For the record, at this moment it is Chase credit cars, Wells Fargo and Xfinity with the issues for me. I think AMEX is working. I think.
  • JimRQuick
    JimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Thank you, John, for chiming in. I am in the process of keeping track of all my online bills -- when due, when notified, when Quicken noticed it, and whether it was One Step Update or manual refresh that pulled up the online bill. I have another 2-3 weeks to go to complete that process. Changing that billpay parameter between 0 and 1 did not seem to help in my case. This problem cost me some money, because I missed a bill and was hit with a late fee. I'm keeping track of every bill's key dates now.
  • Kerry
    Kerry Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I don't think the ONE STEP update for Bills is even working. I am confused as to what Quicken has discontinued/changed in that regard. It is a mess. I can update each bill individually but not as a one click. And the "one click" update processes far too quickly to be doing anything.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Spreadsheet is a great idea Jim and I have started one as well. The good news is we are halfway through the month and 4 of 9 bills are in and picked up with OSU within 24 hours of being notified by the biller. 5 more to go. Two of those 5 required Refresh Biller last month, so unsure, but promising.