Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Issue with backup - unable to open source file

Just started doing this recently

Answers

• Breimert
    Breimert Member
    Lately when I try to backup I get an error message stating unable to open source file
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Breimert
    Breimert Member
    Full path C:\Users\Breim\Desktop\QDATA.QDF-backup
    Not using any backup as far as I know.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    That's the path to the backup file. What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
  • Breimert
    Breimert Member
    Sorry didn't see your response until now. Path is C:\Users\Breim\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using any type of automated backups? This sounds like one is interfering with Quicken.
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Breimert
    Breimert Member
    Not that I'm aware of - certainly not intentionally. After reading other comments I noticed I have OneDrive so I turned it off but the issue persists.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    When Quicken creates a backup, the data file is closed and then reopened. Some program is locking the data file before Quicken can reopen it. Try booting Windows into Safe Mode with Networking and then making a backup.
  • brandon
    brandon Member ✭✭
    Does dropbox interfere with this? If so, any known way around that?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    brandon said:
    Does dropbox interfere with this? If so, any known way around that?
    Do not allow Dropbox to access the Quicken file while the Quicken file is open.

This can be achieved multiple ways.  One way is access the Quicken file in a folder that is not being maintained by dropbox.  Another way is to pause Drobox before you open the Quicken file and resume Dropbox when you close the Quicken file: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/pause-resume
This discussion has been closed.