Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Resolved Placeholders persist

Windows Deluxe Windows desktop.
I find placeholders in investment accounts very useful. But after I resolve them by entering the missing information or transaction they persist as placeholders with "0" discrepancy. So I need to manuaally delete them in the account ledger.
Question:
1. Why do placeholders persist after the missing data has been entered? They are no longer useful.
2. Is there a problem with deleting such "0" discrepancy placeholders?
3. Is there a setting that will make resolved placeholders automatically dissappear?
Thank you.

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Hello Jerry,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your inquiry!

If you have not already, please see the information available here and here for more details regarding placeholder transactions in Quicken.

Please let us know if these Support Articles help to resolve this matter for you.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    The question was why resolved placeholders persist as placeholders even after the missing transactions have been entered and the original reason for the placeholder no longer exists.
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Nobody knows?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    #1 Only the developers could say for sure.  Most likely it is just because they never put in the code to remove them.
    #2 There is no problem deleting these.
    #3 There isn't any setting to do this.

I personally come at this a completely different way.  I make sure that I never have any placeholders, and as such never go down this path.  There are options for preventing placeholders in the first place.

And yes I agree that once resolved a placeholder should go away automatically.  I see no reason for an option on this though since I can't see any purpose a person would have to retaining a placeholder that have been completely resolved.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.