After upgrading to 2020 on line subscription, I can't open existing data files. Files are 92,000 kb.

I tried backup, restore, copy 'CUSTOMER SUPPORT' they seems lost,, and advise from them put me deeper in the hole. HELP.

Comments

• edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    So one advise was to renter all data. I did. Useless. Another advise, split file. USELESS. There is some issue and they are not honest about it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows? US or Canadian version?
    What version, edition level and release of Quicken are you using?  Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

What problems and what error messages are you receiving?
    When restoring your Quicken data file(s), be sure to select the \Documents\Quicken folder on your C: - drive as the destination for your files. Windows does not allow data files to be stored in its Program Files or other system folders.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken did you upgrade from?  Please be specific?
    US or Canadian?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    WIndows 2020; On Line Subscription. US Version,,. When I tried to open it seems like it is trying to open the data file and eventually dump out to the Desktop.
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Windows 10
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2020
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's start with some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Tried everything. Called Support like 10 times. Looks like a Software Issue. Eventually more people will have this issue.
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Quicken is not paying attention to this problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this.
    Open Quicken without a data file by holding the CTRL key while you double-click the Quicken icon.
    You should see an empty window with only the File & Help menus.
    Do File > File Operations > Validate & Repair.
    In the Validate dialog, browse to your Quicken file and check Validate file, then OK.
    Wait. This will take a while. Don't panic if Quicken shows "Not responding".
    When the validation is complete, your file should open. Good luck.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Try Validate. File appears to be validating but after a few seconds exited back to the desktop.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Checked everything nothing works.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What does "Checked everything nothing works." mean? Checked what?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edpersaud said:
    Checked everything nothing works.
    Since we are not looking over your shoulder, we have no idea what you are actually trying or what your screen in showing.....
    We are just other peer customers, that have run across a variety of problems, and we are trying to see what problem you may be encountering....
    That is why we ask very specific questions - and expect those questions to be answered to help rule out known issues...

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    I try validate , save as, restore, year end update, file from Dropbox, google, pen drive, usd drive. What I find happening is once I enter information after like 10 entry I am unable to access the data file again. Can it be my data file is hacked ?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    More likely corrupted than hacked.

Try Supervalidate. Use the procedure in my post above, but hold CTRL+Shift while clicking Validate & Repair in the File menu. The Validate checkbox will change to Supervalidate. This is probably your last chance. If this fails, your file is likely irreparable.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Try moving the Quicken data file to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken. Also, do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Rocket, I tried the Supervalidate and sadly it did not work. The thing is the file displays the the data file tab almost into the files; and them revert to the desktop. Now the real thing is why other backup opens but after inputting some data that file then becomes 'unable to open'?
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Greg I will try what you mentioned when i get home from work.
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    And really appreciate you fellas trying to resolve this issued. Thank you.
  • edpersaud
    edpersaud Member ✭✭
    Well sadly I was unable to access my data file. So now I created a NEW data file and moved forward. What a CROCK
This discussion has been closed.