Editing twice-a-year bill reminder

I just went to update the schedule of a twice-a-year bill reminder to reflect a new billing schedule. I didn't pay attention to the schedule when I hit save but when I went to re-edit it to also automatically enter I notice that the schedule is now May 8 (correctly updated to the new date on the reminder) and Nov 14. Not sure where the Nov 14 came from but when I edit the schedule the second date is 11/14/1900. Probably bad data at the beginning.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @dan_wilks,

Can you tell us which versions of both Windows (you are NOT a Mac user - right?) and Quicken you are using?  Also have you noticed this issue with any other of your reminders?

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Is this "twice a year" 6 months apart? Or something odd like May and October?
    Because there's 2 different ways to schedule these ... depending upon your answer to my question.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • dan_wilks
    dan_wilks Member ✭✭
    @Frankx QW 2020 R26.21

> Also have you noticed this issue with any other of your reminders?

I hadn't paid attention but I just edited another twice-a-year. The main dialog just says May 2 and November 2. When I hit "change" the date pickers say 5/2/1900 and 11/2/1900. Another twice-a-year reminder also shows the dates in 1900. Funny thing is that the one I originally commented on which I thought I had changed to 2020 show 1900; changing them to 2020/2021 correctly saves and persists across a qw restart.

All of my quarterly reminder shows the full dates in the main reminder window with the correct years as does the change (schedule) dialog.
  • dan_wilks
    dan_wilks Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA yea, I know how to set up a schedule. I was just noticing that existing twice-a-year reminders were showing the dates as 1900 when I went to the change (schedule) dialog. Then I would get an error message when I tried to save it unless I changed the dates to 2020.
  • NotACPA
    Check both the date and the date format (in Win Settings) on your computer.  That's were Q gets its info.
  • NotACPA
    HMMM, I don't have any 2x/yr items ... but I changed a Quarterly dividend to Twice Yearly ... and it recorded properly.

• dan_wilks
    dan_wilks Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA that's not surprising. When I edit my twice-a-year schedules they seem to stick. It's just that existing ones some that had been changed maybe within the last three years and others that probably haven't been changed in five-to-ten years are all showing 1900.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a bug that has existed since almost 1900. It seems Quicken does not keep track of split year reminders as well as twice per year custom reminders. The first image shows what should be every six months.

The second shows correctly for June and September.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • NotACPA
    edited May 2020
    So, are you saying that it depends upon in which month the 1st payment in the series is recorded?
    Because for a twice-a-year, there would always be 2 in the same calendar year.
    Also, I note in your examples that in the incorrect graphic the transactions are 6 months apart ...  but not in the correct graphic.
    What happens if you record the State Farm payment in November by itself ... and then start a new  twice-a-year next May?

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My auto policies auto renew every six months. So they span across the same year and into the following year. Each time they are updated with the changed $ amount, the dates do not always seem to update as they should. I've just simply changed them as needed.
    The property tax bill does update correctly for the months of June and September and as I recall migrate into the next year correctly.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
This discussion has been closed.